Murtagh Part 2

Percy's Point of view

Eragon said, "You have become your father."

A strange gleam leaped into Murtagh's eyes. "No, not my father. I'm stronger than Morzan ever was. Galbatorix taught me things about magic you've never even dreamed of... Spells so powerful, the elves dare not utter them, cowards that they are. Words in the ancient language that were lost until Galbatorix discovered them. Ways to manipulate energy... Secrets, terrible secrets, that can destroy your enemies and fulfill all your desires."

Eragon retorted, "Things that should remain secrets."

"If you knew, you would not say that. Brom was a dabbler, nothing more. And the elves, bah! All they can do is hide in their forest and wait to be conquered." Murtagh ran his eyes over Eragon. "You look like an elf now. Did Islanzadí do that to you?" When Eragon remained silent, Murtagh smiled and shrugged. "No matter. I'll learn the truth soon enough." He stopped, frowned, then looked to the east.

Eragon and I followed his gaze and I saw two identical bald men standing at the front of the Empire, casting balls of energy into the midst of the Varden and the dwarves. The curtains of smoke made it difficult to tell, but I was sure the hairless magicians were grinning and laughing as they slaughtered the men before them. I scowled at the sight but that wasn't all I noticed since I saw Roran crawling toward them from the side.

I was instantly worried as I saw him. I think Eragon and I had the same thought at the same time because we were both about to cast spells to try and protect Roran despite how tired we already were.

Just as we were about to do it Murtagh said, "Wait. I want to see what he'll do."

I looked at him incredulously while Eragon asked, "Why?"

A grim smile crossed Murtagh's face. "The Twins enjoyed tormenting me when I was their captive."

Eragon and I looked at him suspiciously and Eragon asked, "You won't hurt him? You won't warn the Twins?"

I was just about to cast a spell anyway when Murtagh said,

"Vel eïnradhin iet ai Shur'tugal." Upon my word as a Rider.

Reluctantly I watched as Roran hid behind a mound of bodies. Eragon and I tensed as the Twins looked toward the pile. For a moment, it seemed they had spotted him, then they turned away and Roran jumped up. He swung his hammer and bashed one of the Twins in the head, cracking open his skull. The remaining Twin fell to the ground, convulsing, and emitted a wordless scream until he too met his end under Roran's hammer. Then Roran planted his foot upon the corpses of his foes, lifted his hammer over his head, and bellowed his victory.

"What now?" demanded Eragon, turning away from the battlefield. "Are you here to kill me?"

Murtagh replied, "Of course not. Galbatorix wants you alive."

"What for?"

Murtagh's lips quirked. "You don't know? Ha! There's a fine jest. It's not because of you; it's because of her." He jabbed a finger at Saphira. "The dragon inside Galbatorix's last egg, the last dragon egg in the world, is male. Saphira is the only female dragon in existence. If she breeds, she will be the mother of her entire race. Do you see now? Galbatorix doesn't want to eradicate the dragons. He wants to use Saphira to rebuild the Riders. He can't kill you, either of you, if his vision is to become reality... And what a vision it is, Eragon. You should hear him describe it, then you might not think so badly of him. Is it evil that he wants to unite Alagaësia under a single banner, eliminate the need for war, and restore the Riders?"

"He's the one who destroyed the Riders in the first place!" Eragon shouted as I was thinking much the same thing.

"And for good reason," asserted Murtagh. "They were old, fat, and corrupt. The elves controlled them and used them to subjugate humans. They had to be removed so that we could start anew."