Chapter 18: Evil plan?

The happy day ended, and the new day has begun. During the morning court assembly, General Hai Bojing is smiling from ear to ear for all the eyes can see including his father-in-law who is happily smiling as well. Emperor Rong Xiaoli watches both men before he looks at Fourth Prince Rong Yingming who is standing next to General Hai Bojing.

The Emperor touches his chin before he says, "This emperor is happy to see that both the Prime Minister and the General seemed to be in a good mood this morning. Usually, whenever both of you see each other faces, both of you pull a rather long face..."

"Your Majesty seems like the General is having a rather happy marriage. But, this prince wonders why the Prime Minister is looking over the moon as well... Don't tell this prince that the Prime Minister is taking another concubine?!?!?!"

Prime Minister Jia Peizhi turns his head and stares at the Fourth Prince and says, "The Fourth Prince must have been jesting... This old man has his hands full with the main wife and a secondary wife by my sides. To take another is out of the question. My children are more than enough. Too bad my only daughter has been carted away by that loathsome man standing next to you."

Emperor Rong Xiaoli laughs and says, "General Hai, it seems that there is no love lost between you and Prime Minister Jia."

"Your Majesty, both of us are trying to be civilized towards each other. After all, my wife will be sad if we are constantly being on each others' throats."

Prime Minister Jia Peizhi smiles and further says, "Son-in-law is right. Seems like my daughter is indeed blessed to be the General's wife."

General Hai Bojing turns his body to face Prime Minister Jia Peizhi before he respectfully bows before him, "Father-in-law need not worry, Bojing will make sure that Huian will be well-taken care of."

The rest of the ministers and officials are gawking as they are amazed that the two 'foxes' have found a common ground, Eldest Miss Jia Huian, the only daughter of Prime Minister Jia Peizhi who has become General Hai Bojing's wife now. The elusive young miss who almost never attended any social gathering or seen out in the public. Rumour has it that the children of the Prime Minister are ones with exceptionally good looks. This is confirmed by the sightings of the First Young Master Jia who is famously known for his rather delicate look. The children of the secondary wife are safely hidden in the Jia Residence while the First Young Master Jia Ying is constantly seen at the Literary Club House with his group of friends. If the General is this smitten after marrying his wife, it only means that she is definitely a beauty as well.

Fourth Prince Rong Yingming laughs and says, "Prime Minister Jia, this prince knows that you are a very dedicated family man. Too bad that your oldest son has shown absolutely no interest in becoming an official."

Prime Minister Jia Peizhi sighs and says, "That son of mine is very stubborn but he knows what he is doing. I have no problem with that."

Emperor Rong Xiaoli nods his head. He knows that the legitimate son of his Prime Minister is indeed a bright young man but he never takes the annual imperial examination just yet. But, First Young Master Jia Ying is known to have a rather wide network as, within his group of friends, all of them are from influential families. One is the youngest yet illegitimate son of the Minister of Finance and, he is a rising merchant in the imperial city. One is the second legitimate son of Marquis Sun but well-known for his military abilities. One is the only son coming from a famous literary family who is known for his impeccable good looks and wide knowledge in literature, arts, and history.

Within that group of 'friends', one is the youngest daughter coming from a very influential family. That only girl is the youngest sister of his beloved wife, Fifth Young Miss Shi Nanyi¹. She is known to be a rebellious young miss and, would not conform to the life of a noble young miss. She is already known as a "spinster" within the Kingdom as she is of the same age as Fourth Prince Rong Yingming and General Hai Bojing.

Once, he wanted to matchmake her and his fourth imperial brother but, that one is a huge disaster. Then, he tried to matchmake her with General Hai Bojing but that did not go well either because both parties are fiercely opposing each other in a physical way. Yes, they fought to the point that both have suffered grave injuries.

That is why his wife is furious with him and resulted in the months of hot and cold war against each other. Due to his wife stubborn personality and honesty, he was offended by her direct words and he banished her into the Cold Palace to make her submit to him but, that stubborn woman refused to admit defeat and, by the third month, he was the one who visited her there without anyone's knowledge.

He learned a few valuable lessons from that incident. First, he is never to interfere in his youngest sister-in-law's matters ever again. Secondly, a fight between a husband and wife can be good once in a while. Thirdly, make-up sex after each fight is a must. Fourthly, never let the Empress become pregnant ever again because she swore that if she did become pregnant in the future, she will cut his 'little Xiaoli' personally.

She did that when he tried to make love to her after she has given birth to their son and daughter. Having a glistening and sharp knife being put against his 'little Xiaoli' is not a pretty sight. Luckily, he did not become an impotent man due to that trauma and able to be with her days and nights. Only when she kicked him out of her Palace did he went to the other imperial concubines.

Emperor Rong Xiaoli smiles as he reminisces the good old days only to be interrupted by Fourth Prince Rong Yingming.

"Your Majesty, aren't you supposed to say something... Remember..."

Emperor Rong Xiaoli laughs and turns his attention to General Hai Bojing who is giving Fourth Prince Rong Yingming a sidelong glance. Seeing this only made Prime Minister Jia Peizhi feel uneasy as General Hai Bojing is his son-in-law after all.

***

¹ 难以 Difficult, hard