Chapter 23

Khloe's POV:

I sat criss-crossed on the foot of the bed, staring absent-mindedly at the closet door.

Nico had a date tonight that he was currently getting ready for.

What I found strange that their date was set for 10:00 pm.

Well, at least it was strange to me. Maybe it was a vampire thing?

My posture straightened as the closet door opened and Nico walked out.

He wore a white dress shirt with black dress pants and a tie that still hung untied around his neck.

His hair was just barely brushed and not fixed at all, letting the natural subtle waves it got whenever he let it airdry show themselves

Which I thought was madly attractive, but he usually only kept it like that when he was staying in most of the day.

I watched as he fixed his collar in the mirror he had on the inside of the closet door, still not touching his tie.

"You're really gonna go on a date looking like that?" I joked, trying to hide the nerves I got every time Nico had a date.

No matter what I tried, I was always on edge until he got back from one.

He grinned at himself in the mirror before turning to face me.

"You seem to think that I actually care how these dates go," he responded.

I shrugged, hopping down off of the bed and onto my feet before walking towards him.

"I just know that you have a reputation that you have to keep up in public."

"Oh yeah?" He questioned as I stepped in front of him, "And what's that?"

I took the two ends of his tie, reciting the steps I learned when I was six in my head, and began tying it for him, much to his surprise.

"The prim and proper Prince of the city," I said, petting down my finished product of his tie.

He grabbed my hand with his, holding it there against his chest as he leaned down a bit.

"Are you saying I look bad?" He asked, his eyes glinting with mischief.

I laughed a bit.

Nico looking bad was quite literally impossible.

"I'm saying you look different is all. The untouched you mixed with the formal."

"Untouched?" he questioned.

"Yeah. Your natural hair," I said, raising my free hand to run through the soft strands, "I like it like this."

He leaned into my hand, tightening his grip on my other.

"Really? I thought it just looked messy."

"It does," I said with a grin, "But I think that's why I like it so much. Its what I wake up to every morning, so why wouldn't I like it?"

His eyes widened for a moment after I spoke, and I swear I saw a hint of color brighten his face.

His grip on my hand released as he breathed out a half sigh half laugh, shaking his head.

"Have I ever told you that you make it nearly impossible for me to will my way through these dates?" He asked.

I smirked in an almost victorious kind of way.

"Have I ever told you that that was the point?" I whispered, tracing the shell of his ear.

He chuckled lowly, hooking his hand around my waist and pulling me close against him.