Lodestar, Chapter 43

"We have to stop it," Sophie said.

She didn't know how. But . . . they never knew what they were doing, and somehow they always made it work.

"There's the confident Foster we all know and love!" Keefe cheered. "I bet your head is already filling up with brilliant plans."

———

"Shouldn't we be trying to come up with an actual plan?" Fitz asked. "Instead of putting all the pressure on Sophie?"

"But Foster's always the one who figures it out. You just gotta give that fancy brain of hers a second to work."

"That's not true. I . . ." Sophie's words trailed off as an idea started to take shape.

Keefe grinned. "Go ahead, Foster. Amaze us."

———

"That way you won't have to try to slip away again. Is there another time that's safe to talk?"

"I get a breakfast break around sunrise, and a dinner break around sunset, so we could go with either of those times. Or both. But no check-ins tonight. I'm supposed to have a special skill lesson with Ruy—and even if that's changed, I should probably lie low."

"Tomorrow morning, then," Sophie said, trying not to think about how early she'd be waking up from now on.

"Woo-hoo for bonus Keefoster time! Try not to get jealous, Fitzy. She still likes you better than me—but someday I will wear her down. I'm sneaky like that."