Chapter 38: Golden mark

Two crooked ice crystals shaped in the mermaid cub's handwriting.

Looking down at these cold ice crystals, which at first glance were quite adorable, the people present did not know whether they should be amazed or laugh.

Their club's mermaid cub had not only developed an ability, but it was also a very rare variant ability. This was naturally enough to astonish them. However, knowing what the word written in mermaid language on these ice crystals meant, a different feeling enveloped them and made them want to smile.

The first thing the little mermaid had wanted to do once he learned to use his new ability had been to write to his parent. Although the two ice crystals had not been given to them, they could not help but also feel warm in their hearts as they looked at them.

"Has this happened before, someone in the mermaid race using an ability without singing?" Zheng Zhou was the first one to doubt his own knowledge when it came to the mermaid race.

It was true that to be a qualified caretaker one needed to some extent understand every race. But there were so many races in the interstellar, being able to have a deep understanding of them all was impossible.

"I don't recall hearing about it," Zarad quickly answered, shouting from the guardroom before walking over. "However, no matter if there was a precedent or not, it has now proved possible."

That was indeed true. After listening to Zarad's words, the surrounding people nodded one after another and calmed down a little, removing the startled expressions from their faces.

A mermaid's singing and ability should, in theory, be inseparable. So seeing the reality taking place in front of their eyes, everyone could simply not help but regard it as a wonderful miracle.

"Great!" Xia Qi's eyes were full of joy. She felt happy for the mermaid cub from the bottom of her heart.

The little mermaid had been abandoned by his family, and the reason for it was not hard to imagine. He had been abandoned simply because the cub had a speech disorder.

--Because a cub who couldn't speak, couldn't sing, and so couldn't use their ability.

But the mermaid cub had now proved himself to be very outstanding, not at all inferior to the other cubs in any way. To Xia Qi, this also proved what she had always thought.

That their Gale was very talented, one just needed to look at his ability to see this. Having a variant ice ability was so rare in the mermaid race that it indirectly proved how talented this mermaid cub was.

After some time, the ice crystals solidified by the cub's ability at last started showing signs of melting. While the shape of the two ice crystals was still intact, Xie Tao hurried to take photos of them as keepsakes.

Xie Tao had no intention of uploading them on Xingyou. The pictures and the news of the mermaid cub's variant ice ability would surely draw attention to the club, but he did not want to put the cub through all that. These photos were merely for him to keep.

"Have you recalled anything about the black pattern I told you about yesterday?" The Knox cub nestled in Xie Tao's embrace was curled up into a ball and looked even more fluffy because of it. Xie Tao could not help but tenderly drag his fingers through the cub's fur as he asked this.

"I haven't." Zarad shook his head in a direct manner. He had never come across such a mark before.

To be honest, when the youth told him about the black pattern on the Knox's body, Zarad's first reaction was to think of the Black Horror.

But after he took a closer look at the pattern the other showed to him, Zarad immediately dismissed his previous thought.

It was not the mark of the Black Horror. The totem pattern formed by the Black Horror was fixed, it was the same on every patient, and the pattern the youth showed him was very different.