Chapter 31

🛑 BEFORE YOU READ 🛑 

If you haven't already, I want you to read the post I made on my board yesterday. I hope it motivates you for the day 💪 

JASLYNN

Deep breaths. 

Inhale.

Exhale.

There weren't words to describe how torn I was about what I was seeing. Why was this normal? How did these pack members sleep at night knowing that there are wolves just around the corner being punished for who knows what?

I slowly turned to face Reece, who looked as if she was used to this, "So this is why Aleksei left. Because he didn't approve of punishing people this way."

"Aleksei was more forgiving of the two," she nodded, "In Alrik's world, there are no second chances, which is how we got to this stage. If you commit an offense, you aren't let off with a warning. You're charged with some sort of punishment ranging from the chains to the pillories."

Her eyes filled with pain as she glanced at the pillory station, "The pillories are the worst. Ninety percent of the time, the offender is whipped several times before they are forced into that disgusting wooden contraption."

"Who decides the charges?" 

"I do."

I spun around and stared at Beta Conrad in shock, "You do?"

He shook his head and looked at the ground, seemingly ashamed of himself, "I have no choice. It's one of my duties as Beta." 

"It used to be my duty," Reece added, "But Alrik thought Conrad was better suited for the job because I was too emotional about it."

Beta Conrad sighed and shook his head, "I may not show it on the outside, but this does take a toll on me as well. I hardly sleep at night after I charge someone."

I swallowed hard and pointed to the young wolf who was still being whipped, "What is his offense?"

"He stole medicine from the pharmacy."

"Did he say why?"

"That was all the information I received. Someone found him stealing, and he was brought to me," Beta Conrad stated quietly, nodding at the pack warrior who had stopped whipping the boy and was walking away.

As soon as the warrior disappeared into one of the buildings, I approached the wolf and kneeled before him as he groaned in agony. His back was covered in blood, and his shirt was tattered beyond repair.

"What's your name?" I asked softly, trying not to startle him.

His eyes cracked open, revealing his hazel irises, and he blinked a few times as if he was trying to recognize me, "Nolan."

"Nolan, why did you steal from the pharmacy?"

He rubbed his face with his clean hand, "My sister went into heat, but her mate isn't here so I broke into the pharmacy when it was closed to get her the medicine that reduces the effects of her heat."

"Is she okay? Do you know what happened to her?" I asked worriedly.

He wiped the sweat from his forehead, "I don't know. She was passed out when I left her so I can't mindlink her."

"I'll send my mate to check on her," Beta Conrad voiced from behind me.

Nolan gave him a painful, but grateful smile, "Thank you, sir."

I tugged my wand out of my hair and patted his shoulder gently, "Sit up, let me heal your back."

"No, no, no, you'll get in trouble," Nolan said, scooting away, "The pack warrior will be back any moment to collar me and chain me to the poles."