Chapter 5

🎸August 1956🎸
    Today is finally my graduation. Ever since Elvis left, we have talked everyday, I've learned about him. The more I learn the harder I fall. It's been hard just being friends and seein girls throw themselves at him. I know that I shouldn't be jealous since we are just friends but I can't help it. He was supposed to come to my graduation but he is busy recording and couldn't get out of it.
    I woke up early, curled my hair, put on some makeup, put on my new pink dress and my favorite kitten heels. I walked downstairs to see Tom struggling to fix his tie. "Do ya need some help?" I asked, he turned and smiled.
"Could ya?" He laughed, I walked to him and started tying it. "So when are ya moving to Memphis?" I froze and looked up at him
"What are ya talkin about?" I asked. My fault knew that Elvis stayed in touch but I hadn't told them about Elvis' plan yet because Elvis also wanted to talk to them.
"Lily I'm not stupid, and I heard ya talkin to Elvis the other night." I sighed, I couldn't lie to my twin.
"Tom I was goin to tell ya but Elvis wants to be here when I do. We made a plan that once I graduate he would come down  and bring me back to Memphis. He was supposed to be here today but he has to work." He smiled down and hugged me.
"It's ok Lily, I'm happy for ya, Elvis is a good guy. Thanks for fixing my tie, now go get breakfast, so we can finally graduate!" I kissed his cheek and went to the kitchen. Mama was making coffee, one of the boys was reading the newspaper at the table.
"There's my little graduate, good morning honey!"mama smiled and kissed me cheek as I sat at the table.
"Mornin mama!"
"Mornin ladies!" Davis announced as him and Daniel walked in.
"Mornin boys, are you two ready for the twin's graduation?" Mama asked, they both said yes and sat down at the table. We started eating, daddy walked in and kissed my cheek.
"Good morning sweetheart!" I smiled at him, but then froze. David, Daniel and daddy walked in after me, there was no way Tom beat me into the kitchen, who in the world is sitting across from me. I got up and slowly pulled the paper down. Behind the paper was Elvis with a huge grin on his face, I gasped.
"Surprise darlin!" He exclaimed and stood up. I ran to the other side of the table and hugged him.
"I thought you couldn't make it?" He twirled me around.
" I wanted to surprise ya honey!" I smiled and hugged him tighter.
"Alright that's enough of that!" Daddy pulled us apart. "Now come on it's time to get goin." We all went out to the car. Mama and daddy sat in the front, I sat between Elvis and Tom. David and Daniel sat in the back. Elvis put his right arm around my shoulders and with the other hand he grabbed my left hand playing with my fingers.
"I really missed ya honey." He whispered
"I missed ya too sugar." He smiled.
"Sugar? You should call me that more often, I kind of like it" He laughed quickly, which caused me to laugh too. I am so happy that Elvis is here, I forgot how comfortable he made me.
    When we got to the school, mama, daddy, David and Daniel went to go save some seats. Tom, Elvis and I stayed back at the car to put on our caps and gowns. Elvis stayed back so he wouldn't be recognized. Tom's girlfriend came over and helped him with his gown, I put on my gown while Elvis held my cap. "Ya know I didn't know it was possible but I think you got even more beautiful since I saw ya last." I blushed.
"Thanks sugar, ya sure know how to make a girl blush."
"You're welcome darlin, now lets put this cap on ya, get ya inside, so ya can graduate, so I could finally take ya to Memphis and call ya mine!" He put the cap on my head and smiled. "Beautiful girly!" He smiled down at me, we both started to lean in but were cut off by the principal announcing it was time to head into the gym, Elvis kissed my cheek. "See ya later honey!" He winked and walked away, Tom and I walked to the gym and took our seats. Our principal made a speech and then started calling names, finally I was next.
"Lily White!" He called, I walked up the stairs and shook Principal Turner's hand. I looked out in the crowd, and saw Elvis, he winked and waved at me. Tom was the last name called, we walked back to our seats and the ceremony continued. When it was over we walked over to our family, they all hugged me. We took some pictures with our friends and went back to the house for the party.
A lot of people showed up for the party mostly family but some friends stopped by. My little girl cousins wouldn't let Elvis out of their sights, he didn't seem to mind though. It was actually kind of cute to see Elvis play with Elvis. I sat at one of the tables in the backyard and watched Elvis okay tag with my cousins. My aunt Crystal sat next to me.
"Wow the Lord really blessed that boy! He can sing, dance, is good with kids and is extremely good lookin!" She smiled.
"He sure is! Where did you find him Lil?" Aunt Dorothy commuted from behind us, I rolled my eyes.
"He was in town a few months ago, he was stayin at the hotel daddy works at, but fans found him, so the hotel sent him with daddy since they knew he would be safe. We spend some time together and he surprised Tom and I for graduation." I said as I still watched him.
"Oh come on honey he's not here for the both of ya, he is here for you. If he was here for the both of ya he wouldn't be all dressed up and he would be hangin out with Tom instead of tryin to impress you. Besides he can't seem to keep his eyes off of ya!" Dorothy exclaimed.
"You must have left quite an impression on him for him to come back here. So how did ya do it?" Crystal asked. I took my eyes off of Elvis and glared at my aunts.
"Will you two please stop I-" a voice cut me off
"Excuse me ladies, but can I steal Miss Lily for a second?" Elvis asked smiling, my aunts sat up straight and smiled at him.
"Oh of course Mr. Presley! Take her for as long as ya need!" Crystal winked
"Thank ya! Come on Lily!" He held his hand out to me to help me up, I took it and followed him to the swing set in the corner of the yard. We sat down on the two swings, I looked over at him and smiled.
"Thank you for gettin me out of there"I laughed
"Of course darlin, ya looked miserable." He laughed, we both swung. "What were they talkin about?"
"They kept goin on about you." He laughed, got up from the swing and walked behind me. He grabbed the chains of my swing.
"And what are they sayin?" He asked in my ear, I felt myself blush, luckily he was behind me and couldn't see me blush. He started pushing the swing.
"They were sayin that they think that you really like me."
"Well they are right ya know, you are all I could think of these past few months, and finally seein ya, especially in this pretty dress, is all I wanted." He walked in front of me and stoped the swing.
"I thought about ya too, and by the way I really like seein ya in a suit." I smiled as he fixed his tie.
"Ya do? I wasn't sure what to wear." I smiled at him, out of the corner of my eye I saw my daddy and uncles staring at us, I sighed. "What's wring honey?"
"I'm just nervous to tell my parents that I'm leavin. I don't think that will understand how happy I am with you." Elvis put his hand under my chin and pulled my head up so I was looking up at him.
"You want them to see how happy you are?well then come on girly!" He grabbed my hand pulling me out of the swing and ran over to the record player. He dug through my daddy's collection of record, he picked one and put in on the machine. He turned it up, It was my daddy's favorite record. Elvis smiled at me as daddy yelled across the yard
"Boy how did ya know this party needed some music? Come on Sally!" He grabbed mama's hand and started dancing.
"Come on lets show your parents how young people dance these days!" He laughed and pulled me to where my parents were, everyone joined in. We all had a ton of fun, I danced with Elvis the majority of the time but also danced with daddy, David, Daniel, Tom and some of my uncles. Elvis danced with mama and my aunts, everyone seemed to like him.
    After a while the party ended and everyone went home, mama, daddy and the boys went up to bed. I stayed downstairs and helped Elvis set up the couch. As I was putting blankets on the couch, I felt arms go around my waist. "Darlin ya don't have to do that for me." Elvis whispered, I could feel his breath on my neck and the smell of his cologne filled my nose, he made me knees feel weak.
"I want to, I like takin care of people. Besides it's keepin my mind off of tellin my parents about us." His arms gripped me tighter.
"I know honey, but that's nothin ya should worry about. Now stop with the blankets and sit down, ya can take care of me when we are in Memphis." I sighed and sit down. "Ok close your eyes, I have a gift for ya."
"Elvis you didn't have to get me anything."
"I know I wanted to, now close your eyes." I closed them, I could hear his digging around in his suitcase then felt him place a box in my hands. "Ok open em!" I opened my eyes and looked at a rectangular box, I opened it. It was a heart necklace, it was beautiful.
"Oh sugar, it gorgeous, you didn't have to give me this!" He smiled, grabbed the necklace and sat next to me.
"Yes I did, this necklace is my way of finally askin ya to be my girl and move to Memphis with me." He put the necklace on me, his fingers lingered on my neck sending shivers down my spine. I turned towards him smiling like an idiot. "So what do ya say? Want to be my girlfriend?" He asked smiling.
"I would love to be your girlfriend!" He smiled and laughed
"Well then girly, can I finally kiss ya?" I blushed and softly said,
"Yes, ya may!" He leaned in and planted his lips on mine, it was the best kiss I ever had. We pulled apart, we both were smiling.
"Ok let's get ya to bed." He kissed me again and lead me upstairs to my room. We stayed quite so my parents wouldn't hear us. When we go to my door he kissed me again.
"Goodnight darlin." He whispered
"Goodnight sugar." I whispered and kissed him once again.