An t-siathamh bliadhna - Oidhche Shamhna

31st October 1976

31st October 1976

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Halloween had rolled around again. The weight of homework and exams lessened slightly on the shoulders of the sixth years as the final week of term had come into reach and with it a week off from work.

As different classes began filing in for one of the biggest feasts of the year, the Halloween Feast, the Great Hall was brewing with hundreds of students. Carina could barely believe that it was Halloween again - last Halloween felt like just a day or two ago. She vividly remembered all of the events of the day, her ordeals trying to steal potion ingredients for the boys. That, she realised, had sort of been almost the foundational event of the solid friendship she had with them now. Thinking of them, she looked over to the boys.

The Marauders were engaged in some raucous conversation or another with other Gryffindors. They were always the loudest table. And yet despite that, Sirius immediately looked up at her when she glanced across at him. They had developed a sort of way of communicating like that - they could always tell when the other was looking at them. He winked at her and mouthed "are you OK?"
She nodded but before she had time to mouth anything back, Carina was cut off by Dumbledore.

"This past term has been an eventful one for many students - with successes in competitions -" he looked over at some seventh years who had been involved in an inter-school potion brewing tournament. "in exams -" he smiled at the fifth years towards the front who had completed their mock O.W.L.s already. "and much more, we can look forward to the term to come. However, I have a few things to address. N.E.W.T mock exams have been moved forward - they will no longer be taking place at the end of January but in early December." A pit started to form in Carina's stomach. She thought she'd have two, nearly three months to study but now - barely more than one. Oh Merlin. She tried to focus on keeping calm and tuning back into what Dumbledore was saying.
"In addition, many people have been wondering what may be happening at Hogwarts with the attacks that have been happening recently. Now I can say, we are upping security measures, however - nothing will change in the lives of students. However, a series of... Pranks played upon students have led to several people in the hospital wing and it is believed the perpetrators are playing off of the fear of these attacks in these... pranks, so if anyone has any further information about this matter, please speak to myself or one of the heads of House. Now, with these issues out of the way, let us put them out of our minds and enjoy our food."

As food arrived upon each plate up and down the tables, chatter erupted through the hall once more. Carina mulled over Dumbledore's words in her head thoughtfully as she attempted to spear a potato on her fork. He never did try to quell any unrest in students, telling people about this would surely incite more fear, but maybe it was better that people were aware. Not that many details had been shared. Then she realised something.

"Who was pranked?" Carina asked, the discomfort in her stomach growing up into her chest. "Do we know?"

Dorcas and Pandora stopped dead in the middle of their eating.
"Oh Hecate..." Pandora whispered.
"Did no one tell you?" Dorcas said softly, pain clearly in her voice.
"Mary... She was attacked. Just last night. By a Slytherin boy, our year. Mulciber."