008. aureate and spider-man

› CHAPTER EIGHT ‹

› CHAPTER EIGHT ‹

Raleigh knew Peter passed the ATM center on his way to and from school, so he decided that he was gonna meet and confront him there about what happened. He was still angry that Peter had never replied to his texts and deliberately ignored his call requests, but as soon as he neared the accident, all anger faded, and he was left stunned. The news didn't make it look as bad as it was.

The entire ATM building was destroyed. Glass was shattered all over the sidewalk and road, and Mr. Delmar's Deli-Grocery was in the same condition, but light smoke still puffed out of the broken windows and walls. Raleigh didn't know if he was angry or afraid, because just from what he was seeing, he knew Peter could have lost his life. If it wasn't for his calls being canceled seconds after he called him, then he would still be thinking Peter was in a ditch somewhere dead.

However, as he noticed the boy through the crowd of people, the annoyance returned. He pushed through the crowd and marched up to him.

"Parker!" When he got closer, he noticed Ned beside Peter and tried to hold back his burst of fire. He eyed the boy and returned to Peter, who had grown tense and silent. "Can I speak to you?"

Raleigh expected a lot, but he didn't expect Peter's next words.

"Ned knows, Raleigh." Peter sighed. "He saw me come home in my suit."

"You're Aureate!" Ned awed.

"What?" Raleigh furrowed his brows at the boy, thoroughly confused by the name, but then turned to Peter once more. "So you told him about me, too?"

"I told him you knew about me being Spider-Man and then it just..." Peter's voice faded in shame. "...it just slipped."

"It just...slipped?" Raleigh repeated. He goes quiet. "Look that's not what I came here for—" He shoved his finger in Peter's face. "I'm mad at you!"

Peter waved his free hand and gently lowered his friend's finger from his face. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I know you told me to call you, but they were there, and it was already happening. They would have been gone by the time you arrived."

Ned, open mouth, watched the two heroes argue back and forth.

"You could have answered my texts then and at least tell me you were okay!"

"You're right! You're right!" Peter agreed loudly but then hushed again when people looked over. "You're right. I'm sorry."

Raleigh let out a long breath. "Whatever, it's fine."

Peter and Raleigh quieted down, the fire dissipating from Raleigh. The only sound between them was the civilian's conversations about the mess and the police officer's shoes crunching the shattered glass. Ned turned to Peter with a light in his eyes. "Do you lay eggs?"

"No." Peter laughed.

"Can you fly?" Ned turned to Raleigh.

"No, Ned," Raleigh shook his head with a small smile, "I can't fly."