fifty six

Thomas and I practically jump out of our skin, and I swear my heart stops. It's almost like slow motion for the seconds I'm hearing the voice, and I don't think I've ever felt my insides crumble so quickly. It's like the sounding of a bell, clanging and letting me know my time is up. I've lost before I could even try.

We quickly turn around once time catches up with my thoughts, forcing us to pull apart to meet the person behind the accusatory voice. I'm a deer in headlights for just a split second before I remember who I'm next to. Thomas. The boy I'll do anything to protect.

All I register in my quick analysis is that this is a nurse. "We—"

"Thomas? Newton?" the nurse asks, forcing me into silence. My jaw goes slack.

"Scott, keep your voice down, please, man," Thomas steps forward as he begs in a low whisper.

Now, I remember. This is the nurse that got me my things before I left. I look between the two of them. Thomas wasn't so kind to him the last time I saw him, and that won't bode well for us now.

Scott looks at the two of us, his eyes narrowed. This guy is fairly young, with jet black hair and a frustratingly unreadable expression. His gaze lands on me, and he frowns.

"Are you back already?" he asks, in a miraculously lower volume.

I'm only stunned that he hasn't shouted for backup and tranquilized us yet. "It's a long story," I say, my words barely coming out. It feels like I've gotten the wind knocked out of me, and I'm positive anxiety this bad will shave years off my life.

"Start talking, then, because there is no reason—"

"We'll explain," Thomas interjects. Scott turns his attention back to him, raising an eyebrow. "We'll explain everything. You wanted to know why we left, right? We'll tell you. Just please, please listen."

I've never heard Thomas sound so desperate and afraid before, and it doesn't help the burning in my eyes as he pleads with the nurse.

Scott looks Thomas over, and I can see the war going on inside his head. I'm not sure what makes him do what he does next, but it's nothing short of a miracle. He sighs, then looks to his left, then to his right. "Come on. Follow me."

He turns on his heels and begins walking down the hallway to our left, and Thomas and I look at each other in total shock. Where is he taking us? We don't move for a moment, but it doesn't look like Scott is going to stand and wait for us. I start walking first, and Thomas follows after. He could be bringing us to Ava Paige for all we know, but what are our options? It's not like we can run and hide.

We catch up to Scott just as he reaches the cafeteria doors. He props it open with an expectant expression, then rolls his eyes, waving us inside the room when all we do is frown back at him in confusion. We quickly oblige, and I wonder how he got this job in the first place.

He shuts the door behind us, then turns to us with crossed arms. "You've got ten minutes to explain. You're lucky night shifts bore me."

I feel the color come back to my face, and I see Thomas' shoulders slack, both of us visibly grateful. If we had to get caught, being caught by this guy was definitely the best outcome. Of course, this could still go horribly wrong, but we've got a chance still.

"Thank you," Thomas says, almost breathlessly. "Um, where should we start?"

"With your escape. It's been bothering me for weeks," Scott says, genuine interest lighting his face up.

"Yeah, sure," Thomas says, nodding. It's only then that I notice he's wobbling. Not his usual fidgeting, but something worse. Without thinking, I grab his arm, steadying him.