Concealed Anxiety.

Zelda couldn't sleep. She just didn't feel like sleeping, besides, it was a beautiful night. She walked barefoot in the grass before sitting down on a log, staring at the mesmerising waterfall. She studied it's colours and shapes and the way the stars reflected of the distorted surface.

"Oh, Princess! I'm sorry, I didn't know you were here! I'll just go-" Paya nearly tripped over Zelda as she focused on the waterfall before turning abruptly on her heels.

Before she leave, Zelda grabbed her wrist and smiled at her, "please, stay."

Paya ringed her hands as she sat herself down next to Zelda. She looked at the waterfall again, it always seemed to calm her.

"How was Link during his travels?" Zelda turned away and looked at the young Sheikah.

She had visions of Link while she was battling Ganon. In all of them she saw him fighting and running. It must have been hard for him.

The question had taken Paya off guard. Link was stayed with her and Impa many times. She thought that Link himself would have told her about his travels. Zelda smiled at her, it seemed she was curious to know about the friends he had made or something along those lines. So... So she didn't know? She didn't know about his constant nightmares? Surely she would have heard him, he would usually call out. She knew that Link was stubborn. Maybe he had tried his best not to show that side of him. Paya started to stammer. What should she say? Should she tell her that he was fine? Should she tell her the truth?

"Well, um... He- uh... Well..." She fumbled her words.

Zelda cocked an eyebrow, curious as the why Paya was turning red. She seemed unsure as to her words. Zelda looked at her up and down before realising that it was her question that had unraveled her.

Zelda's eyes hardened and she dropped her smile. She grabbed Paya's hands which were thrashing around and tried to steady her.

"What happened to Link?" She asked again, this time, she wanted answers, worry in her voice.

Paya gave up and sighed heavily, "I believe that Master Link is hiding something..." She looked up into Zelda's eyes, "I saw him smile for the first time when he arrived with you and Sidon. In all the times he has visited, never once has his blank expression changed..." Paya saw the worry in Zelda's eyes grow.

"What else hasn't he told me?" She tried to calm her shaky voice.

"He suffers from terrible nightmares, I've heard him cry out at night... Every night..." She trailed off.

Zelda knew what she meant. Before the Calamity, both her and Link had nightmares. She thought she was the only one, her dreams repeating themselves every other day. When she found out that Link had these nightmares as well, she didn't know what to think. They had found a way to cope, but now Paya said it was every night. She had heard of an Elixir that could help push nightmares aside but she had heard it was very painful. If he was using it just so she wouldn't worry...

"You should talk to him... It's been very hard for him ever since his resurrection..." With that, Paya detached herself from Zelda's hands and got up slowly before walking away.

Zelda looked back to the waterfall. How had she missed this? How had she been so blind? She was so focused on the restoration of Hyrule to question Link. She hadn't questioned him when he smiled, she just assumed he was fine. Now it turned out that he was smiling for her, not wanting her to see him at his most vulnerable.

She had spent the last one hundred years coming to terms with the Champion's deaths. She had accepted long ago that they were gone and nothing could be done.

Now that she thought about it, Link had lost the Champions three times. He first lost them when they died, a century ago and he never had time to contemplate his loss. He lost them again when her father's spirit told him that his supposed best friends were dead. He had lost them for the last time when he got his memories back. All this time while Zelda laid out plans for the future of Hyrule, Link was still grieving, though he hid it well under a mask.

He must have felt the worst of it. She was the princess and therefore she didn't have many friends. The closest things she had was her advisors and the Champions. Link was a different story. He had childhood friends. He had friends in the royal guard. He was friends with the staff of Hyrule Castle. He knew many more people than she did. And he had lost them all.

Zelda wiped away a solitary tear and got up from the wet grass. She took one last look at the waterfall before hurrying inside.

***

She fumbled in the pack, trying to find it. Finally, her hands felt the smooth surface of a glass vile. Pulling it carefully out of the pack, she saw the deep red liquid that was an Elixir of Subdued Sleep.

She sighed, her theory coming true. She placed the vile back into Link's pack and got up. Sitting down on the side of the bed, she ran her fingers through his hair as he slept. In the morning, she would talk to him.

***

"You summoned me?" She swaggered over to him examining each and every shadow in the room.

She did not know what he might have in mind for her, she did not want an ambush. Ever since her last master's betrayal of her, she knew never to trust anyone.

"Yes..." He purred, tapping the arm of his stone chair periodically.

Though her headpiece covered her eyes from his sight, he could sense her uneasiness as she studied the room. It wasn't as fine as his old temple but it would have to do for now. He started to chuckle lightly at the way the shadows made her behave.

"Do not worry, I have no need nor desire to kill you..." He continued to chuckle, "I want what you want."

"That would be?" She put her hand on her hip.

"Ganondalf would want the princess and her knight dead." He started, no longer laughing, "you seek revenge for his betrayal..."

A low growl resonated from inside her throat, "Yes!" She barked.

"I have resurrected you because I will need your help..." He continued.

She stopped looking around the room and looked up at him. His face was almost completely covered by his purple cowl that hang low over his head. His fingers kept tapping away at the makeshift stone throne he had made.

"She has eluded me once before... I wish not to make the same mistake again..." He pointed at her, "This time, Princess Zelda will not escape being the bride to me, Vaati, ruler of the winds!" He roared to the empty room.

"Join me, Cia, dark sorceress!" He held out his hand as he bellowed his command.

She smiled wickedly before taking it.