eight ; dobby's warning

————————————

————————————

Aurora Areli

EVER SINCE THE DISASTROUS episode of the pixies, Professor Lockhart had not brought live creatures to class. Instead, he resorted to reading passages from his books to us, and sometimes acting out the more dramatic bits.

Much to my amusement, he usually picked Harry to help him out. So far, Harry had to play a simple Transylvanian villager whom Lockhart had cured of a Babbling Curse, a yeti with a head cold, and a vampire who had been unable to eat anything but lettuce since Lockhart had dealt with him.

During our next DADA lesson, poor Harry had been hauled to the front of the class to play the part of a werewolf. Judging by the irritated and embarrassed look on his face, he was probably only complying with Lockhart to keep him in a good mood.

I was leaning my head on my hand and doodling absentmindedly on a scratch piece of parchment, but I could still hear everything that was being said. Lockhart's lessons seemed too ridiculous to be worth actually paying attention.

"Nice loud howl, Harry — exactly — and then, if you'll believe it, I pounced — like this — slammed him to the floor — thus — with one hand, I managed to hold him down — with my other, I put my wand to his throat — I then screwed up my remaining strength and performed the immensely complex Homorphus Charm — he let out a piteous moan — go on, Harry — higher than that — good — the fur vanished — the fangs shrank — and he turned back into a man. Simple, yet effective — and another village will remember me forever as the hero who delivered them from the monthly terror of werewolf attacks."

Finally, the bell rang, and Lockhart got to his feet.

"Homework: compose a poem about my defeat of the Wagga Wagga werewolf! Signed copies of Magical Me to the author of the best one!"

I sighed as I finished packing my things, not looking forward to interacting with the joke of a teacher.

"Ready?" Harry muttered once he made his way back to us.

"Wait till everyone's gone," Hermione said nervously. "All right . . ."

She approached Lockhart's desk, a piece of paper clutched tightly in her hand, with Harry, Ron and I following closely behind her.

"Er — Professor Lockhart?" Hermione stammered. "I wanted to — to get this book out of the library. Just for background reading." With shaky hands, she held out the piece of paper. "But the thing is, it's in the Restricted Section of the library, so I need a teacher to sign for it — I'm sure it would help me to understand what you say in Gadding with Ghouls about slow-acting venoms . . ."

"Ah, Gadding with Ghouls!" said Lockhart as he took the note from Hermione, smiling widely at her. "Possibly my very favourite book. You enjoyed it?"