05 | a l l e y s

{P} resent time.

After the party, Draco and I were practically inseparable. I knew that Remus didn't like him much (mostly because of the rivalry between him and Mr. Malfoy), but I convinced him that Draco was... nice.

How did I convince him?

Definitely not  by proclaiming a hunger strike and then failing when coaxed down with chocolate bars.

And of course, definitely not by giving Remus the silent treatment and then tricked into singing my favorite muggle song.

As a last resort, Draco sent an owl carrying a basket of the finest chocolate bars as a bribe. He must have sensed the terror radiating from the letters I were sending him. Needless to say, everyone knows how Remus Lupin reacts to chocolate.

I knew Draco was having no issues in his side of the map. His parents were happy that we were getting along, although I knew that they weren't so fond of Remus either.

Through the years, we had gotten through think and thin, of course we all had our little squabbles. Draco and I bicker all the time. Although, there was this one time, about a year ago, when we got into an argument about Draco's lack of apologies.

Whenever he did something wrong, like accidentally hit me, or spill something, or say something that hurt somebody's feelings, he would simply nod slightly. I questioned him about it when he knocked over a glass of milk on my favorite book.

He responded with an indifferent, "I'll just buy you a new one."

I was already having a bad day, and his comment just made it worse. I just... lashed out. "I don't care that you have enough money to buy me another one, okay? I care about you taking responsibility for your actions."

One thing led to another and then suddenly we had our first big fight.

After about two weeks of not talking to each other—the longest we've ever gone— Draco gave into his pride. Which to say, was a humongous feat. There was better luck in Remus rejecting chocolate.

He had sent me a rather very crumpled letter. There were several words crossed out, it read:

̶D̶̶e̶̶a̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶M̶̶o̶̶s̶̶s̶,
̶D̶̶e̶̶a̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶A̶̶v̶̶a̶̶c̶̶a̶̶d̶̶o̶̶,
Dear Emerald,

̶Y̶̶o̶̶u̶ We haven't talked for weeks now, and ̶I̶̶ ̶̶m̶̶i̶̶s̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶ I miss eating chocolate in the parlor.

Anyway, I think that I said the wrong thing, and that I̶̶m̶̶ I̶̶m̶̶

̶̶s̶̶o̶̶r̶̶

̶I̶̶m̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶r̶̶r̶̶

I'm sorry, okay?

̶Y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶r̶̶i̶̶e̶̶n̶̶d̶̶
Your only friend,
D̶̶r̶̶a̶̶c̶ Jerkface

It tugged my lips into a smile and I still kept the letter to this day. I can't imagine ever getting rid of it.

Dear Jerkface,

I'm sorry, too. I didn't mean to lash out at you. Come over tomorrow?

P.S. I have a lot of friends, you just don't know them.

Your only friend as well,
  Moss

Another time was at a specific Christmas party. I cringe every time it pops into my head. The Malfoys invited us over for Christmas, and after my constant nagging, Remus finally consented.

The awkwardness was beyond measurable. The air was so suffocating, Draco and I had to be excused. The little snarky remarks that were passed between the two former schoolmates were amusing at first, until it started to spiral out of control.

"Don't go Moony eyed on the chicken, Lupin."

"Don't go telling your father about this, Malfoy."

Apparently, Draco got it from his father.

Anyway, it was finally time for us to get ready for Hogwarts, and we were dripping with excitement.

Draco and I managed to agree on a time to meet at Diagon Alley. I knew I wasn't getting much, I could use Remus' hand me down textbooks, catch a bird or something, and find a pair of scales in the closet somewhere.

It was late August, and the air was bitter. I tightened my thin coat and said bye to Remus.

"Stay close to Draco and don't get lost."

Remus used to say, "Stay away from boys," but after he had learned to slightly trust Draco, he let me go out more.

I arrived in Diagon alley and immediately spotted a platinum blond head among the browns and blacks.

"Draco!" I rushed to meet him.

"Potter!" Draco greeted, "Are you ready?"