Chapter 17

Curled into yourself on the ocean floor, the only way to tell you were still crying was the way your body wracked with invisible sobs.

How could I not see it... when it was right in front of me the whole time...

How f**king stupid was I to not notice it?!

You pounded your first against the sea floor in frustration, sand flying up all around you and clouding your vision completely.

You sat up, squeezing your eyes shut and bringing your hands up to your face.

I hurt him. I hurt Jimin and I have no one to blame but myself,  you screamed in your head.

It felt like time had stopped, not remembering how long you had been down here, sorting through all the feelings you'd ever had. You tried and tried to untangle your confused emotions to see if you could feel something, anything for Jimin, but in the end you just couldn't...

You loved him, that much was clear, but you didn't love him in the way he wanted you to. It was Taehyung who held your heart this whole time. You could feel it with such crippling intensity anytime he was close by.

Despite knowing all this you still couldn't forgive yourself for hurting Jimin. The image of him standing in the rain with tears streaming down his face, it was burned so deep into your mind. You've been replaying it over and over in your head like a broken record.

You looked up at the surface of the sea as another boat passed overhead.

That's strange... why is there so man-

Just then you felt the ping of a sonar, the sudden disturbance making you shoot up from where you were sat.

What the hell?

You had never known there to be boats using sonar in this area before.

You swam upwards towards the boat to inspect it, wondering if it was a new kind of fishing boat.

That's when it hit you.

Soon-ja's warning rang loudly through your head as you felt the next ping of the sonar.

You spun around as quickly as possible, swimming towards the shore as fast as your tail could take you, weaving in and out of rock formations that were scattered across the ocean floor.

The sonar speed picked up, you could feel that the boat had turned to follow you.

Sh*t sh*t sh*t

There was no way you were going to lead them to your house, you had to find somewhere to duck under.

You spotted a protruding rock on the sandy floor of the sea, swimming over to discover a small space underneath with just enough room for you to shimmy into.

Clawing your way under it, you pulled at the course sand to drag yourself up against the side of the small alcove.

You stayed as still as possible, thankful that you could no longer feel the pings of sonar bouncing off your frame like an echo.