Chapter 28

Jza jumped down to the dry ground with a mighty heave, surveying her new abode with quiet resignation. She resisted the urge to stretch out her stiff arms after the grueling ride as her men followed her example. The dust floating around her settled around her skirts as she walked along the barn into the main courtyard. She had spent more than half her life here and yet she felt it was all a dream. 

The farm was obviously abandoned. Usually there would be farm hards running to and fro, wheeling in fodder and dumping out the manure but as expected no sign of humans lingering amongst the wood structures was to be seen. 

"Something isn't right," Taqruin suggested as he followed her steps. He narrowed his amber eyes, disliking what his observations revealed.

Jza nodded even though she saw nothing out of the ordinary. She trusted the man's intuition and her eyes raced over the abandoned buildings trying to find the source of his displeasure. 

"We need to search the area. Make sure there's no enemy lying in wait," The brown haired girl ordered and the men scattered although they did not have to go far since the farm was not generous in proportions. Tarquin stayed by her side keeping a wary eye on their surroundings. 

"I must ask you, your highness, why here?" Oliver asked after completing his circuit of the courtyard. She had finally memorised the names of her companions who had fought to be by her side when the small troop had split at the cross roads. The larger group had aimed for Goridian castle while Jza had led her smaller one to this farm. She had been tempted to throw all caution to the wind and reunite with her father but bringing Lord Tarquin with her would have caused the kind of chaos she could not even imagine. 

"This is my uncle's farm. Besides the palace this is the only place I have called home," She replied emotionlessly as she lied. This place was never her home. 

"Is there anyone here?" Dermort one of the stable boys called out loudly making Tarquin wince at the absurd amound of noise he was making. 

To her surprise there was sound of an animal that replied back. Now she could see what had caught Tarquin's attention.

"This is a cattle farm and while usually it would be full of animals but right now, how? Who has been tending to the animals in an abandoned farm?" Jza marched to the barn, following the rattling of bells and stomping of cattle feet. 

"The place looks like nobody has inhabited it for months," Oliver rubbed his hands over his beard as he spoke. 

"I wouldn't believe so. The cows are alive and well and most importantly bound in place." Jza glanced back at Tarquin as she entered the stall which was a mistake. She lost her balance as soon as she entered but her prisoner was swift on his feet and pushed her to the side. A rusty piece of metal fell down from above without ceremony missing her by inches. Her skirt wasn't quite as lucky and she lost an inch to the sharp machine part. 

"You just tripped over a trap wire. We are not alone," The man hissed and pulled her up urgently his fingers digging into her waist. His dagger was out and the rest of the men raced in behind them, itching for a fight.

"Who is there?" Tarquin spoke, taking the lead. His voice was low but it echoed in the nearly empty barn. Even the meagre amount cattle was silent as they watched the scene from their perches. 

From behind the dark corner a familiar elderly woman with two children approached the party slowly. The children, a boy and girl, had their arms tangled around the elderly woman. The old woman's eyes were fixed on Jza. Perhaps the sight of a woman among a group of unknown assailants gave them hope it was not a gang of robbers.