Chapter Twenty Five

When we reach the living room, I hear Marie's voice, and try to see what's going on, but can't turn my head to get a full view.

The sound of another unfamiliar voice catches my attention. It's definitely a woman.

"What're you doing here?" Marcello asks coldly.

"I'm here to see you, Cell." The girl says, and I jerk at the nickname.

Cell? Do they know eachother? Are they close?

"Who is it? Lemme see." I whisper and struggle in Marcello's grip, but stop my efforts when he squeezes me tighter to him.

"What do you want now?" Marcello asks the woman, his voice sounding clipped.

"I just need a place to stay at for a bit." The girl sighs, sounding defeated.

"There's a hotel a couple blocks away. You can stay there." Marcello bites, turning around to leave, allowing me to catch sight of the girl.

I almost gasp.

This woman is gorgeous. Dark hair. Light eyes. Tan skin with a beautiful body. She could definitely be a model.

"I can't. They're looking for me again." Her voice comes out shaky and scared, almost sounding rehearsed.

Marcello stops in his tracks and turns back around, "They think you're dead."

"They saw me. They know I'm alive." She informs Marcello with a plead.

"And that's not my fault. You should've been more careful." Marcello bites out harshly, tensing his jaw.

"Please, Cell. Do you hold at least an ounce of love for me anymore?" She asks desperately, and I hear the sound of footsteps coming closer.

That sentence alone has me wanting to roll my eyes. What a drama queen. Though I'd still be interested in hearing the answer.

I hold my breath, waiting for Marcello's reply.

"No." He says without hesitating, and I stifle my breath of relief.

"Please, Cell. Please. Just this once. I promise to never contact you again after this." Comes her voice, trying to get a bargain.

"If allow you to stay, you're to never speak to me or anyone in contact with me ever again." Marcello offers coldly.

"I promise." She speaks with sincerity, her voice filling with hope.

"Marie, show Callow to a guest room." He says, turning around and stalking off with me still clinging to his neck for dear life.

I see Marie staring at me curiously, and I realize it must look weird having Marcello carrying me. And he's shirtless.

But at least he's wearing pants.

I shrug to Marie, mouthing that I'll talk to her later.

She nods, then turns to the girl, Callow.

Marcello's body is tense as he walks.

"Are you okay?" I ask in a whisper, squeezing my arms around him tighter.

I feel oddly closer to him for an unknown reason. Maybe it's the morning we spent together. The playfulness.

But I feel the need to comfort him, if that's possible.

"I'm fine." His response is short and emotionless.

He obviously doesn't feel the same as me.

I pull back, loosening my grip on him, but he stops me.

"No." He says, bringing one of his hands up to push me back to his chest.

I involuntarily tighten my hold on him again.

Maybe he does feel remotely comfortable with me.

Hope lightens my mood, causing me to smile.

He carries me to his room, putting me down on the bed, "Get dressed, we're going somewhere today."

"Where?" I ask curiously as he walks to the bathroom.

"You'll find out if you get ready." Is his reply before he enters the bathroom and closes the door.

I frown, wanting to know where we're going before we leave, but decide that I should get ready.

I practically run to the guest bedroom I've been staying in and dig into my suitcase.

Wait, what do I wear? Jeans and a tee shirt, or something fancier.

When he dragged me to that restaurant when we barely knew eachother, it was pretty casual. Maybe I'll just wear a sundress. It's pretty warm outside, seeing that it's summer.

I find a baby blue dress with swirls of white near the hem and hurry to the bathroom to take a shower and brush my teeth.

After thoroughly reviving my hygiene, I put my chosen outfit on and study my reflection. The dress reaches just above my knees and looks casual enough, with the white swirls adding a touch of a pattern to the simple blue. It's a pretty article of clothing.

I smile and run my fingers through my short hair to smooth it down.

Once I find myself presentable enough, I pull on some flip flops and race to Marcello's room.

My eyes widen when I see him wearing a white tee shirt and blue jeans the exact color of my dress.

"We match!" I squeal in surprise.

"What a coincidence." His eyes find mine and I watch in amazement as a genuine smile marks his face.

"You should smile more." I muse, causing his smile to drop.

"No, don't frown. I don't like that." I pout.

His lips press into a thin line.

"That's not any better." I scold him, rolling my eyes.

He shrugs, grabbing my arm, "Let's just go."

"Okay, I'm coming, I'm coming." I grumble, allowing him to pull me after him.