nine ; parselmouth

————————————

————————————

Harry Potter

I WOKE UP THE next morning to find the hospital wing blazing with winter sunlight. My arm was reboned but felt very stiff.

There was a warm weight pressing into my left side, and when I looked over, I saw that it was a peaceful looking Rory still asleep with her head on my shoulder. I felt my face grow hot and a funny feeling erupted in my stomach.

Should I wake her? Should I move? I definitely didn't want to, but I wasn't sure how she would feel about sleeping so close together.

Luckily, I didn't have to think too long, because a second later, Rory woke up on her own.

"Oh, um, sorry, I guess I fell asleep," she said, sitting up and smiling sheepishly at me, which made my heart speed up.

"It's okay," I assured her, internally cursing when my voice rose a few octaves.

"How's your arm?" Rory asked.

"It's good, the bone's all grown back now," I said, lifting my stiff arm to wave awkwardly.

She giggled, (and I swore my heart was about to burst out of my chest), but then caught sight of Colin, and immediately frowned and bit her lip.

"I hoped that was just another bad dream," she muttered.

Another?

Before I could ask, Madam Pomfrey came bustling over with a breakfast tray and began bending and stretching my arm and fingers.

"All in order," she said. "When you've finished eating, you may leave."

I nodded as she handed me the tray. It was hard to try and eat with my left hand, and I saw Rory watching with an amused smile on her face.

"Do you want some?" I asked.

"No thanks," she shook her head, glancing towards Colin's bed, which was hidden by curtains. "I don't feel like eating much."

Twenty minutes later, after I had gotten dressed, Rory and I hurried off to Gryffindor Tower to tell Ron and Hermione about Colin and Dobby, but they weren't there. We left to go look for them, and I couldn't help but feel slightly hurt that they weren't interested in whether I had my bones back or not.

As we passed the library, we ran into Percy Weasley, who looked considerably happier than last time we met.

"Oh, hello, Harry, Aurora," he said. "Excellent flying yesterday, both of you. Gryffindor have just taken the lead for the House Cup — you earned us seventy points."

"You haven't seen Ron or Hermione, have you?" I asked.

"No, I haven't," Percy said, his smile fading. "I hope Ron's not in another girls' toilet . . ."