CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

The city of Arkanis was glazed in moonlight, dripping from the roofs and cascading down the pathways weaving silver streams between structures

The city of Arkanis was glazed in moonlight, dripping from the roofs and cascading down the pathways weaving silver streams between structures. Sol peeked out from behind a chimney looking down at the sleeping city below her.

Despite the hour, not everyone slept. The fair-haired woman watched three stormtroopers in pristine white armor march down the cobblestone streets, lifting their blasters at every alleyway. The shining lights of their scopes beamed around their surroundings, illuminating anything in their wake. Sol clutched the strap of her bag. The spoils of her nightly escapades had made her bag heavy against her back. Though she had gotten what she wanted, a battery circuit from the night market vendors, she had no intention to pay for them. Now her face gilded the holo broadcasts around the city, a hefty price in credits beneath it for her capture.

Gold eyes watched the Troopers gather together once again at a crossroads, their static voices echoing off the tin walls.

"We've lost sight of her but she can't have gone far. I'll take north, HF-3956, you take south, GA-0082, you take East, I'll call command and have them send out more troops."

Sol watched the troopers nod and then split off into their assigned directions. She turned back around and stepped delicately across the rooftops.

Perhaps it was just her luck or the force's retribution for wrongdoings but as Sol reached the line of tiles on the rooftop, her foot got caught in a small pipe.

It was enough to send her crashing downward. Gasping, Sol dived to the side to not land on the apex of the rooftop, sparing her from a nasty bruise on her ribs. Her body slid down the side, the tiles clattering beneath her. A shout resounded from below. She was caught.

The thief's body hit the edge of the tiled roof and she didn't have time to see the fall below. Wildly swinging her body to the side Sol reached for the ledge, desperate to grab something. Her fingers burst with pain as she caught her body weight in her right arm.

Looking down below her with shallow breaths she could see a Trooper had rounded the corner into her alley and immediately caught sight of Sol's dangling form swaying slightly.

"Oh stars." Sol gasped as she and the Trooper seemed to make eye contact.

"She's here! Hurry!" The Trooper shouted out before rounding his blaster on the young woman.

Groaning Sol willed herself to grab the roof and with a bit of help with the force managed to pull herself up as angry red blaster shots began to pelt the rooftop.

Sprinting across the rooftops she could see the massive wall that surrounded the little desert city of Arkanis. That was where she needed to be, where she should have been if hadn't gotten herself caught. Once on the other side of the wall, she would be unreachable.