3.

"Is everything all right, dear?" Liz asked me as I came in with her supper.

"Of course it is." I smiled at her, placing her plate down.

"Sit, tell me, I'm a good listener." Liz coaxed at me. I looked at my watch. It was 7:30pm, but I didn't have to rush home to Willow, she was spending the night at Connors.

I sat down on the sofa, feeling uncomfortable. "There's nothing wrong." I smiled, batting my eyes.

Liz smiled at me, muting her television. "Dear," she sighed out to me. "I know that look. That is defeat."

My smile slowly faded as Liz spoke to me.

"I had that look many times before. Did you know, I was married three times?"

I shook my head. I didn't know much about Liz except what she likes to eat.

"My first husband died in a war. My second husband was a womanizer. I wore the face of defeat for years. Until he divorced me. I refused to divorce him, I wasn't giving up until he did. Maybe I should have, it would have saved me three years of crying myself to sleep." Liz chuckled. "My third husband however, he made me see life how I use to before I even married my first husband. He taught me how to be happy again, to smile again."

I bid myself not to cry. What exactly is she trying to tell me?

"So, is that the defeat you wear? One of man troubles?"

I stared at Liz and nodded. "I'm having difficulties with my husband." I said softly. "We aren't on the same path anymore."

"Maybe your new path leads you somewhere more, happier." She told me.

"I hope so." I whispered.

Liz gave me a soft smile.

"It's, it's just, he is, I love him so much. We've been together for fourteen years. Married for seven years, he is..."

Liz waited patiently as I tried to say the love of my life, but the words didn't want to leave me.

"I thought he was the love of my life." I sighed out.

"Sometimes, we have to overcome trying obstacles to find our real goals in life. Sometimes when we think we find them, we see that it was just one of many paths to what we were really searching for." I saw the twinkle in her eyes.

"I better go, Liz. You rest up. Thanks for the chat." I told her as I got up, taking the dirty dishes with me.

"Any time, dear. Any time." She laughed as I went to the door. "Oh, Harper, don't pay too much attention to Ryan's words. He is just..."

I cocked an eyebrow. "About what?"

"Him telling you about personal calls. Don't worry about it." Liz grinned as she unmuted the television.

I let out a huff of air, closing the door behind me.

I went to the kitchen and washed the dishes, taking my time drying them. So Ryan spoke to Liz about that. I wasn't too sure if he would or not. I knew Ryan was Ashlyn's cousin and Liz is her great aunt, but what is Liz to Ryan?

I heard footsteps and turned to the noise, seeing the devil I was thinking about enter the kitchen. "I'm just leaving now." I said as I hung the tea towel up.

"Aunt Liz has taken a shining to you." He said to me, crossing his arms across his chest. I looked at him in surprise.

"She is a lovely lady." I told him.

Ryan made a noise that resembled a snort. "Only to the people she likes." Ryan stated. "But I'm watching you. You aren't the first to try and weasel their way in to an elderly lady's will."