Chapter 4: Gothic Ash

Your P.O.V.
You  awoke with the cat on your lap, he was content and purring. You looked at the clock, it read 10:52 am, you could stay in bed a little longer, after all work started at 6 pm. Your back felt amazing just from laying down, it's always been in pain ever since last Halloween when Scarecrow turned the city into a living root beer float of fear. Someone, you're not sure who, managed to slightly paralyze you. You had to crawl to the nearest building just to be safe, the fear toxin only showed raining blood for you so you were slightly fine. The commissioner was the one who helped you, said he had a daughter who was paralyzed from the waist down. You felt pity for her, you got the chance to walk again but she didn't. The cat awoke, stretched and jumped off the bed. You could see the cat more clearly now, he had a blue eye with the other one missing, slightly matted fur and his left ear was slightly chipped. You got up and fed the cat, you didn't know what to call him. You had time to kill so you pet the cat and went out to get some cat food. The streets were somehow filled with both life and death, there were people but something seemed off. Almost as if death was filling the air. You shrugged off the feeling and quickly headed to the store to get cat food. 

Selina's P.O.V.
I saw (F/N) walking out to probably buy something. It helps to be in the same apartment as (him/her) 'Not in that way Selina' and it'll allow me to know (him/her) better 'Again, not in that way' I quickly acted and headed into (his/her) apartment, thankfully the window was easy to open. (His/Her) apartment was clean, too clean. I checked everywhere, looking through cabinets, drawers, cupboards, the whole nine yards. I made sure to put everything back as well. I heard a meow behind me, it was the cat that (F/N) saved. His owner abused him, so I made sure the owner got his. I tried finding the little guy for a week, no luck till (F/N) found him. I knelt down and pet him, he nudged me and was purring a lot. I scratched under his chin and he went back to wandering and getting used to the place. I went back to finding what (F/N) could be hiding. Until I saw it, a bowl with a lid on it, laying on the side of (F/N)'s bed. I opened it and saw nothing but ash and a note on the inside. It read 'The paper can be read, but not the mind.' I realized (he/she) burnt the plans, the one thing I needed. "Shit." I cursed under my breath. I heard footsteps approaching and I quickly headed out the window.

Your P.O.V.
You entered your apartment with the cat food in hand. You had three different kinds cause you didn't know what he liked. Plus, if he liked all of em it saved you from going out in the rain. You looked in your room and saw the ash container open. You thought 'She was in here, or is in here, and she fell for the bait.' You had the plans stored in the roof, the one place she couldn't check without making noise. You filled the cat bowl and said "Don't worry little guy, I'll get you what you need." You grabbed another bowl for water, filled it up, and placed it next to the food bowl. While the cat ate you decided to think of names for him. You didn't know what to call him, until you decided to read for a bit.

You were a fan of gothic writing, the setting and style always pleased you. Edgar Allan Poe was, and always will be, the best. You had his entire collection and only know did you remember how the cat seemed similar. The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe, it wasn't one of your favourites but it wasn't one your least favourites. Then again there are no least favourites for Edgar Allan Poe, only ones above. You were thinking that Edgar would be a perfect name for the cat. You went over to the cat who was done eating and you kneeled down. You brought out your hands and said "Okay little guy. Hug this hand" you gestured your left hand "if you want the name Edgar. Hug this hand" gesturing the right "if you want a different name." You brought the hands to his level and he hugged the left hand. You chuckled and said "Okay, Edgar it is." You heard the wind blowing, even though you left the window closed.

You looked behind you and saw a small tinge of black on the side. The building wasn't black, nor was your window cover. You got up and Edgar followed you to the window. You opened it and looked to the side, a piece of black leather, Selina. She was here. You took the piece and put it on your kitchen counter, hoping Edgar couldn't get it. You sighed and contemplated on what to do. You say down as the time went by, waiting for an idea to form or something to get your mind off of Selina. She was always in your head, ever since she talked to you. You almost thought you were falling in love with her, but that couldn't be true...could it? It might just be the fact that she's been around so often or that she's about to rob your goddamn workplace. Either way, she was in your head like an uninvited guest, and you almost wanted to keep her in.

A/N: So bad news guys. My writing source, meaning my tablet, almost got destroyed. It's got a helluva crack though and I gotta fuckin fix it. I just hope I don't have to replace it. I had to write this on my goddamn phone. But at least it's here. Anyway you know the drill, go vote in my conversations for the next books and I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Have a great day/night. :)