Chapter 24: New road

"he said they took the halflings." said Aragorn and Niphredil felt her heart skipped a beat. She looked at Aragorn. "It's me who have failed. Was Frodo one of them?" he asked.

"No!" said Niphredil and everyone looked at her. "it can't be them. I sent Frodo to the lake and sent Sam after him. I'm quiet sure Sam has found him and no Orcs were on their way. So the haflings must be Merry and Pippin." she said and felt nauseous. Any remaining color drained from her face.

"what should we do now? Go after ring barear? We could not leave Boromir like this and what about captive hobbits?" said Gimli.

"the fate of ring barear in not in our hands anymore. This is a road that Frodo should take alone, although it seems he is not quiet alone." said Legolas.

"Boromir said they took the hobbits nothing more. They can be alive. We can't let the Orcs take them." said Niphredil and went to one of the Orcs' shields and took it. Upon it, they bore a strange device: a small white hand in the center of a black field. on the front of their iron helms was set an S-rune, wrought of some white metal. "they bore the mark of white hand, not the crimson eye of Brad-dur. What do you think Aragorn?" she said and tossed the shield to Aragorn. He took it and looked at the it.

"I have not seen these tokens before," said Aragorn. "What do they mean?"

"S is for Sauron," said Gimli. "That is easy to read."

"Nay!" said Legolas. "Sauron does not use the elf-runes."

"Neither does he use his right name, nor permit it to be spelt or spoken," said Aragorn. "And he does not use white. The Orcs in the service of Barad-dûr use the sign of the Red Eye." He stood for a moment in thought. "S is for Saruman, I guess,"

"so they must take the hobbits to Isengard." said Legolas and Aragorn nodded in agreement.

"so what are we waiting for? Lets bury Boromir and start our hunt." said Gimli and began to collect weapons of the Orcs which had been killed by Boromir. Legolas went to help him. Niphredil wants to go too but Aragorn took her arm and stopped her. "my lady. Are you sure about this? Should we not go after Frodo?" asked Aragorn. Niphredil saw the doubt and sorrow which were eating him from inside. She put her hand on his shoulder. "we must let him go Aragorn. We can't help him anymore. it's queit possible that the power of the ring affect us too." she said.

Aragorn nodded his head in undrestanding and went to help the others.

The funeral was simple. They put Boromir in one of the boats and pushed it into the hurrying waters. They watched the boat until it reached the edge and a second later it vanished in the golden hue of the waterfall.

"They will look for his coming from the white tower. But he will not return from the North." said Aragorn mournful. Niphredil put her hand on his shoulder. He turned and looked at her. She smiled at him kindly. She saw doubt left his eyes and replaced by determination.

"We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death. Not while we have strength left. Leave all that can be spared behind. We travel light." he said and looked at all of them. "We will make such a chase as shall be accounted a marvel among the Three Kindreds: Elves, Dwarves, and Men. Forth the four Hunters!."

"Yes!" said Gimli with a grin. They packed what only was necessary and began their long hunt. Now that they had found a new goal they had a feeling that they could do anything. They only hoped to catch the Orcs before they reach their destination. They ran in the dying day and wished for the best.

The End.

(to be continue...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: so this is the last chapter of the first book. the second book and third book are published (read them in order to don't lose the track of the story:) ). I will be happy if you tell me your opinion in comments. the link of the second book is in below and you can also find it in External links.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/184616173-niphredil-elentary-second-book-legolas-love-story

thank you very much for reading. :)

Ela:)