Chapter 23

Rachel’s POV

“HE’S IN JAIL?!” I exclaimed to Rian, Zack and Jack who were all on speakerphone with me. I couldn't believe Alex had marijuana! That’s the thing, I really couldn't believe it though. Alex had told me that he never fell for peer pressure and stayed away from drugs, and I knew I could trust him on that.

“We were thinking he was framed. We passed through a huge crowd of fans, couple of them looking higher than a kite, so maybe someone just shoved the bag into his pocket. But for now, police have him at the station,” Zack informed me.

“Yeah you know I saw a particularly creepy guy that was definitely high near the path they cleared for us to get to our car. I’m thinking it could have been him.”

The guys told me everything else that they knew and I had decided that I had to tell my parents about this. They were disappointed to hear that Alex had drugs, but I had convinced them that we all for sure knew that it wasn't his. 

Another decision that I had made as well was to go down to the police station myself. I had shed a few tears here and there while on the drive thinking that poor Alex was stuck in there, and I knew he would have to stay for at least 24 hours.

I entered the station and explained to the officer that was at the front that I wanted to see and talk to him, and he led me to the back where the temporary cell was located, occupied by only Alex.

“Oh god, Alex!” I jogged the last bit to him and grabbed onto 2 bars with both of my hands. His head was in his hands as he sat on the rickety looking bench.

He stood up and his eyes went wide as he walked over to the cell door on the opposite side, “oh my god, you dont know how happy I am to see you right now. I cant believe you have to see me like this though.”

“Believe me babe, I know that you’re not at fault and I have a feeling I know who did this. There was this sketchy looking guy outside the venue and I’m pretty sure he's the culprit,” I gently cupped his face, “I’m gonna get you out of here and back where you belong…beside me, with no metal bars in between us.”

Alex grabbed my hand and gave it a kiss before I went to talk with the officers that arrested him. I explained my hunch on how Alex was framed and kept mentioning that Alex has a clean record and would never do drugs. I was surprised at how understanding they seemed to be, accepting my continuous positive input about Alex.

“We will try and get the security tapes from the cameras set up in that area as soon as possible. But since he was arrested for marijuana possession, he must stay in the station for 8 hours, maybe more, for us to-”

“Yeah, I know, you have to take dna swabs on the bag. Sadly, I know the process…”

The officers got to work immediately after we finished speaking and allowed me to explain everything to Alex before I left to get some sleep for the night.

—————

I got about 6 hours of sleep. I would have probably gotten more sleep if I wasn't so nervous. I knew Alex was good and stayed away from drugs and other bad things, but what if they found his fingerprints on the bag? He could get charged and thrown in prison for more than just a few hours.

It was 6am and I got changed and washed up, then left to go to the station once again, hoping Alex was alright and they would let him out. 

The officer led me to the cell once again and Alex was asleep on the bench, but I saw his eyes fluttering a bit.

I purposely whispered in a loud voice to the officer, “hey! You got a long stick I can poke him with?!” The officer actually cracked a small laugh and I watched Alex smile as he woke up.

“Mr. Gaskarth, you should know that we are currently running the necessary tests on the evidence and seeing if it matches the fingerprint samples we took from you. And we contacted the city to gain access to the security cameras around the venue you were at last night to review everything.”

Alex groaned and held his back when he rose from the bench, “alright, officer. How much longer until my 8 hours is up?”

He looked at his watch, “about 1 hour, 50 minutes…but, if you admit to marijuana possession, we’ll get you out of this cell, charge you and get you into a more comfortable cell for the next 6 months right away.”

Alex looked like he was getting pissed off, but hid it well. He walked to the door and stood straight up, pushing his chest out a bit, “sir, I cant admit that because I did not do it.”

“Alright, I’ll see you in a bit,” he was about to walk away when I stopped him.

——————

I stayed with Alex for the next hour and 50 minutes and we tried to keep our conversations positive and stay away from the current situation.

We both sat cross-legged facing each other on either sides of the cell bars, “you know, you're really amazing for staying here and trying to help me out of this, Rachel. Thank you so much, you're a great girlfriend.”

“You know, as your girlfriend, can I tell you something?”

“Yeah, anything, you know that!”

I took in a deep breath, then exhaled, “I’ve kinda been in your situation before…” i looked at Alex and he gave me a confused expression, “I’ve been charged with marijuana possession before…I’m not so proud to admit it, but a good friend of mine in high school was addicted and he turned against me one day. He asked me to hold his stash for him for the day, and next thing I know, he gets the police and I was arrested for drug possession…I was in jail for 2 days and didn't even tell my parents, they thought I was at another friends house for the week. Thankfully though, the police were understanding and let me go after they got the real truth via me hooked up to a lie detector.”

Alex’s facial expression was a mix of confusion and sympathy. It felt good to tell someone after all those years.

——————

Alex’s POV

“Come here,” I leaned towards the bars, and watched Rachel slowly do the same, “thanks for trusting me with that. I know it must be hard for you to tell me that, and just know this doesn't change what I think of you.” i held her hand through the bars wishing I could just get out of here already.

“And you being here right now definitely doesn't change what I think about you,” she said genuinely, “I still think you're amazing.”

We stared at each other silently for a minute when I let out a small laugh, “are we having a moment?”

She leaned her head towards the bars, “yeah, I think we are.”

I leaned my head in as well and we shared a loving kiss, even if it was through the bars of a prison door.

We heard the sound of shoes nearing us and pulled away, “would you two like to see something we found?”

We both nodded and they led me out of the cell, and both of us into a computer room.

“Does that guy look like one of the men you suspected, Ms. Garcia?” They pointed to the guy that seemed high from last night, with the shaggy hair and everything.

“Yeah! That’s the guy I was thinking about!”

“Well…seems like your hunch was right…” they fast forwarded the tape to when Alex and the guys exited the building and zoomed into the guy slipping the bag of marijuana into Alex’s pocket.

And we got the test results on the bag, none of your fingerprints were on it, Mr. Gaskarth…so, we’ll be a few minutes, and then we can let you go.”

I had to sign a few release forms and make sure that I was not going to be charged for this, then Rachel and I were off.

We were on the way to the hotel the band was staying at when Rachel started talking, “what a weekend. I had to go to a funeral, then you show up and it’s great, and then you get framed and thrown in jail…maybe it’s not our weekend.”

I looked out the window, “but it’s gonna be our year."