twelve

I walked through the metal gates, magically opening as they sensed the presence of a Malfoy (Draco). The marble walkway sparkled in the lightly falling rain, little droplets bouncing off of it. I bit my lip, trying not to smile as I followed my Slytherin acquaintance towards the manor.

I was yanked from my thoughts as I ran into a strong figure. I looked up to meet the grey eyes of Draco, and I hesitate for barely a second before taking three steps back.

"Sorry," I mumbled, avoiding eye contact.

Draco sighed. "Okay, before we go inside, there are some things you need to know. First, do not observe the interior like you did the exterior. Yes, it's nice, but you need to pretend like it's nothing. Second, pretend to be a Pureblood. Try to be careful with what you say, there's going to be a lot of dark wizards here. Avoid subjects like you Hogwarts House, our deal, blood status, and the Dark Lord."

I simply nodded in response, taking in all of the knowledge I just received. Draco opened the door for me and I quickly walked inside, luggage in hand.

"Your house is nice," I whispered as he led me further inside.

He ignored my comment as his parents entered the room.

Draco's mother, Miss Narcissa Malfoy, had a very soft and comforting voice. "You must be Y/n L/n. Draco has told us much about you."

I smiled. "Yes, Mrs Malfoy, that's me."

"Please, call me Narcissa." She turned to her son. "Would you show Y/n to her room?"

Draco picked up my suitcase and began walking up the grand staircase. I followed him quickly, careful to act calm.

~~~

After putting on he new dress that Miss Narcissa had bought for me, I walked out of my room and met Draco in the hallway. His eyes seemed to smile more than his lips did, but that small glimmer disappeared as soon as we heard the collision of voices from downstairs in the main hall.

He linked his arm through mind and we descended the stairs, faking smiles at the crowd. The myriad of witches and wizards, all in formal attire, dispersed to let us walk through. I just smiled and walked with Draco, as I was instructed to do.

I reminded myself that I would get cake after this.

A few minutes passed, and soon we were being approached randomly by guests. I introduced myself a number of times, my only breaks being when Draco would talk instead.

The crowd eventually got bored of us, as I had expected, and Draco and I managed to escape to the garden in the large backyard of the manor. All of the hard work that Miss Narcissa has put into this had paid off. Rows of gorgeous flowers lined the garden, all differing in size, colour, shape, and pattern. Draco led me to a bench in the middle of the flowers and we sat down.

"Thanks for putting up with all of this."

I paused, slightly shocked by Draco's random kindness. "Um, yeah. No problem. I owed you, right?"

"You could have said no."

"I wanted to see what would happen."

Draco chuckled. "You were really good back in there. You're pretty good at pretending you a Pureblood. It's almost like you're not pretending."

"Thanks . . . I guess?" I sighed. "Hey, I have a question. Why, out of all the girls at Hogwarts, did you choose me to take with you to this party? Even if it's fake, why me?"

"Because—"

"Draco, Y/n, dears, please come rejoin the party. The guests are looking for you," Miss Narcissa called out.

"Coming."