A Car Chase

No sooner had Frank told their father what had happened than Fenton ordered them to go to the Morton's house. He would call the police and tell the women where they had gone. Without another word, the boys dashed down the stairs and into the garage. They quickly put on their helmets and started up the bikes. They sped towards the Morton's, hoping Chet was alright and that nothing else bad had happened. Joe reached the farmhouse first. He parked his bike and nearly threw off his helmet as Chet came dashing down the patio steps. Frank parked his bike and quickly joined them. He and Joe could tell their friend's face was lined with worry.

"Chet, what happened?" Frank asked as calmly as he could, though his heart was racing a mile a minute.

Chet wrung his hands. "Oh, why did I have to go and do something stupid like that?"

"Chet," said Joe firmly as he placed a hand on Chet's shoulder, "just tell us what happened."

"I pulled Queen out of the garage to the front porch," said Chet, indicating the path he drove from the garage, "so I could get my bags in the trunk and take off. Mom and dad had already gone by then, so I had to lock up." Frank and Joe nodded. The Mortons often pulled their cars to the front porch before doing anything else. They had forgotten to lock their front door far too often, and they had come home a couple of times to find a few homeless men wandering around. They hadn't stolen anything besides some food, but Mr. Morton hadn't wanted to take another chance. "I opened the trunk and went back into the house for my bags. I did a quick check over to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything when I heard the trunk slam shut followed by the driver's door. I rushed outside just in time to see the guy drive away. I tried to run after him, but he was off. Oh, why did I leave it unlocked!"

Joe patted Chet's shoulder reassuringly. "You didn't know there was a car thief hanging around, just waiting for you to leave your car alone for a few minutes."

"Huh?"

Frank nodded. "Joe's right. He had to have been watching you. And with as quickly as he worked, that means he's done this before."

"Oh great, Queen's been stolen by an experienced car thief! She's long gone by now!" He placed his head in his hands and moaned.

"Did you see which way he went?" asked Frank.

Chet nodded solemnly. "Towards Bayport."

Joe glanced at Frank. "But, we didn't see it when we were on our way over."

Frank shrugged. "He must have been booking it."

"But if he was booking it towards Bayport, someone would have seen him," said Joe, his excitement rising.

Frank's eyes widened. "You're right! Chet, get your things and let's get going! We'll head to the police station and file a report . . ."

"But we can keep an eye and ear out for anyone who might have seen it!" exclaimed Joe before dashing off towards his bike. Frank followed Chet into his house and grabbed one of the two bags. Chet grabbed the other and made sure the door was locked before following Frank to the bikes. They loaded the bags onto Frank's bike before Chet climbed on Joe's bike. They took off towards Bayport. They passed a few farms before reaching the outskirts of town. They slowed down to keep to the speed limit and keep an eye out for anyone who might have seen someone. Though, Joe was figuring that, since nearly everyone knew the Queen by sight, would recognize Chet and tell them something. His eyes nearly bulged when he saw a girl his standing off to the side, her fists clenched and shaking with rage.

He came to a stop in front of her, Frank slowing down behind him. "Vanessa! Are you alright?" Vanessa Bender used to be Joe's girlfriend, but the two cordially broke up. She was now going out with Greg Mason and strived to bring peace between the two families. At least Greg and Joe stopped their fights when she asked. They respected her too much not to comply.