01

Brenton Academy.

A preparatory school home to the kids of everybody who was just shy of royalty. Almost every student who went here was an heir or heiress to some kind of fortune, or at least related to someone who was. You on the other hand, weren't. You'd gotten in on a scholarship for your grades, and swimming, the most revered sport at the academy. Unlike all the other kids, you could be dismissed for any small infraction, slippage in your grades, or underwhelming performance at a swim meet. You were constantly treading on eggshells, which you suffered through for your parents, knowing that they wanted the best life for you after high school.

Saying goodbye to your friends at your locker, you walked briskly down the halls to make sure you could get to your first class on time. Just as you turned a corner, you collided with someone, nearly dropping your books. You were able to keep a firm hold on them, but the boy you had sent flying to the ground had his papers and things scattered everywhere.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" You apologized, grabbing a few papers as he scrambled to collect all of his schoolwork.

He snatched his papers from your hands, stuffing them into a binder and apologizing under his breath to you before retreating down the halls, all without looking at you. You watched his form until he turned out of your view, then pivoted to continue towards your first period classroom. You'd barely entered when your teacher handed you a paper, a note from the bursar requesting you in his office immediately.

With a thoughtful frown, you hurried to the front office, stopping in front of his door to knock politely.

"Come in." Mr. Jeong called out to you, and you entered, bowing politely to him and the other two adults there as well.

"Hello, Mr. Jeong." You greeted him quietly, nervously tugging on the hem of your dark red blazer, a mandatory piece of the uniform for both girls and boys.

"Y/L/N Y/N." He spoke to the older couple as he gestured to you, then stood up. "I'll leave you all, then."

With that, he exited the room, leaving you with the two people whom you were completely unfamiliar with. The man gestured for you to sit on the chair in front of where he was leaning on the desk, and beside who you assumed to be his wife. You hesitantly did so, looking between them warily.

"Relax, my dear. You're not in trouble." The woman tried to reassure you, giving you enough confidence to speak up.

"Who are you?" You asked, trying to sound as respectful as possible.

"Mr. and Mrs. Zhong." The man who you now knew as Mr. Zhong introduced himself and the lady. "Our son goes here as well, Chenle."

The name sounded familiar enough to you, you were pretty sure you'd heard it during attendance a few times, "I think he's in a couple of my classes. Why? Is he running for class president or something?" That was the only reason you could think of for his parents wanting to talk to you, to help him win some kind of campaign.

"No." Mrs. Zhong replied curtly.

Mr. Zhong took the lead again, folding his hands on his knee, "We are bringing you a very unique and valuable offer, Y/N."

"Okay?"

"Chenle, unfortunately, isn't very good at socializing."

"He doesn't have many friends." His mother added, as if you didn't understand what her husband meant.

"Or really, any."

"Okay?" You repeated your earlier statement, still confused.

"And we heard that your scholarship to the Academy is at risk of being rescinded this year."