Chapter Five- 7: Vanya

Number Seven: Vanya Hargreeves

Cassandra sat on the couch in the sitting room, holding a cup of tea to her lips, her elbows resting on her knees

Cassandra sat on the couch in the sitting room, holding a cup of tea to her lips, her elbows resting on her knees. She stared straight ahead, getting lost in her own thoughts. The sound of the door opening and closing brought her round.

"Five?" She heard Vanya's voice call from the doorway. Cassandra's eyes focused and she stood up. On her way to the front door, her eyes fell on the clock. It was mid day already.

"Vanya." Cassandra greeted cheerfully. She stopped just short of Vanya not sure if she should hug her like old times. After all they hadn't seen each other in years. Cassandra reach out her arms anyway and Vanya smiled awkwardly and stepped forward into Cassandra's open arms. At the slightest touch Cassandra's sight went completely white and suddenly Vanya appeared, her eyes softly glowing. Cassandra steps back, gasping slightly and the vision disappeared.

"Is everything okay?" Vanya asked, stepping back. "What did I do-"

"Everything's fine." Cassandra interrupted, nodding and smiling at her trying to reassure her. Whatever was happening, it was down to Cassandra to control, Vanya shouldn't be involved in this.

"Why did you flinch?"

"I spilt some tea. It's boiling hot." She lied as she set her stone cold tea down on a counter.

"Okay. Have you seen Five?" Vanya asked softly, "He came by last night and well, I want to see if he's okay."

"I'm sure we can find him together." Cassandra smiled.

*

Five was in his room. Cassandra hovered in the doorway as watched him dismay as he just stared out of the grimey window. Vanya slipped past her and stood halfway between Five and Cassandra. As she looked between her two siblings, Cassandra felt her vision slip away and suddenly she was no longer in Five's childhood bedroom, she was outside.

The heat clung to her cheeks, the air she breathed in was hot and sticky and made her lungs hurt. There was smoke everywhere and the remnants of a fire. Five was still where he had been, he was right in front of her but now there was no window he was staring out of, he was staring right at her. Cassandra could see his lips moving but no sound reached her ears. He must be screaming. His eyes narrowed in pain as he tried to lift himself out of the rubble. There was blood everywhere. Five was still shouting at her but Cassandra couldn't hear a thing. He struggled to lift his arm and pointed straight at her. No, not at her. Behind her.

Cassandra turned around and saw a blinding white light in the distance. It was coming closer, crossing over all the destruction. As it grew closer, Cassandra realised that it wasn't just a blob of light, it had structure, a form. It was a figure. There was a person in there somewhere. Cassandra was drawn to it. Before she even realised it, she was walking across the debris. The luminous figure stopped walking, so did Cassandra. She was so close now to it that she could make out who it was. Vanya.