Chapter Six- Normal

You're Normal. You'll Only Ever Be Normal.

Cassandra woke up to perfect silence

Cassandra woke up to perfect silence. The house had long been empty. She was the only one left. All her other siblings had left and Hargreeves was always shut up in his office. Every morning she would walk along the hallway and reminisce at how lively their rooms always were when they were children. Now everything was empty and everything was silent.

Cassandra made her way to the kitchen, hesitating at the front door. She had thought many times about leaving but something always stopped her. No matter how hard she tried, she could never seem to remember what that reason was. Perhaps it was how Pogo was the only thing that reminded her to take her medication. She'd never survive on her own. She would never remember to take them on her own and who knew what would become of her if she stopped taking her medication.

That morning, it wasn't just the thought of leaving that made Cassandra pause at the door. There was a parcel lying on the mat just inside the door. Cassandra stopped in the hall and stared at it. Whoever had delivered must have had a key to have been able to leave it on the inside of the door. It must be important then.

Cassandra approached the small parcel lying innocently on the mat and slowly bent down to pick it up. It was fairly heavy but not much bigger than her hand. The rectangular package had been neatly wrapped in brown paper and tied together with a fraying piece of twine. It had no address so had to be have been hand delivered. It didn't have a name on it either so, shurgging, Cassandra tore open the paper.

It was a book. Vanya's. She didn't know Vanya had written a book. Taking it with her to the kitchen, Cassandra found Mom had already made breakfast. Mom was nowhere to be found but had left a plate of eggs and bacon arranged in a smiley face on the kitchen table for her. Cassandra sat down to eat and opened the book. On the front page, in Vanya's familiar writing, was a message.

"Dad, I figured, why not? V."

Cassandra smiled sadly as her eyes clouded over with a white film. Dad was never going to read this. It was the least she could do to read it.

Cassandra, book in hand, took a deep breath and summoned the courage to knock loudly on Hargreeves' office door.

"Enter." He called out from the other side of the door.

"Father." Cassandra greated blankly as she opened the door and halted in the doorway. He didn't even look up at her. "This arrived for you." She stated. She saw him momentarily stop writing but resumed without saying a thing. Cassandra took a few steps into the office.

"It's Vanya's book." She continued. "It's well written. You should be proud of her."

"Why should I be proud? It's not my achievement." Hargreeves' harsh voice stated bluntly. Cassandra nodded curtly.

"I'll put it on the bookshelf in case you want to read it." Cassandra muttered before she left. She leant on the door and turned back into the room. "I knew she would write this. And I know you'll never read it." She said bitterly before closing the door on her father for the last time.