13

They'd been sitting around chatting in the same lounge for about forty five minutes and Matt only just started to notice the steam whistling out of Alex's ears. His teeth were grit hard and his grip around his ankle made his knuckles turn white.

Matt followed Alex's eyeline and saw that he was staring directly at Andy and swore he could see fire in his friend's eyes.

"Can you come with me to the bathroom?" Matt asked Alex, snapping him out of his gaze.

"What, 'y scared of the dark?" Alex teased.

"Yeah I'm a school girl and I don't wanna go alone," Matt said and stood up.

Alex followed his moves. "Fine."

"We'll be back, just off to the loo," Matt said and started out of the lounge, Alex following behind.

They walked down the hall until they were far out of earshot from the group when Matt stopped and looked at Alex.

"What's up?" Matt asked and folded his arms.

"What'd you mean?" Alex asked.

"Stop fucking around. You've been murdering Andy with yer eyes for the last hour," Matt said. Alex folded his arms and looked away. "What, he say summat to you?"

"Dick told me to stay away from Rosanna, pretty much fucken mouthed me off over her," Alex said and grit his teeth again. "Then he said if I tried anything on her he'd 'kick me to the pavement'."

  "Fucking hell," Matt sighed and shook his head. "Just keep yer cool 'aight mate? I know you're pissed off but for Rosanna's sake—"

  "Yeah I know," Alex interrupted. "He said anything about me to anyone else?"

  Matt looked guilty for a moment.

  "Of course he did," Alex said, rolling his eyes. "What'd he say?"

  Matt sighed, feeling obliged to tell his friend even though he knew he shouldn't. "He were saying shit about you and Alexa, saying that you're a piece of shit who needs other people to help him keep his life together, saying that you use Rosanna by making her have to clean up after all your mistakes."

  "Fucking prick," Alex said shaking his head. "What did he say about Alexa?"

Matt sighed. "That she was right to dump you because you drag everyone you're with down. Don't remember the rest."

  "He said this to you?" Alex said, anger boiling in his viens.

  Matt shook his head, "not the stuff 'bout Alexa, I overheard him saying it to someone else yesterday."

  "Slimy son of a bitch," Alex hissed and grit his teeth.

  Matt put a hand on his chest. "Don't do anything erratic. I know you're mad but please just try and contain it. You can vent later when we're back at the villa."

  "Yeah whatever," Alex said coldly and walked back to the lounge.

  Matt swore at himself under his breath and quickly followed after him.

  Alex sat down in his seat and tried to mask the rage burning in him. Matt sat down tentatively next to him, worried Alex was going to burst.

  Andy was talking to the group about his law studies when they rejoined. Andy's voice alone triggered Alex.

  "So yeah, not long left of me studies, looking for law firms now," Andy said and smiled.

  "Oh yeah? And how's that going for ya?" Alex said passively.