Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six:

Jordan and I are linking arms as we walk up the steps of Bryce huge home, the blaring music audible even from outside.

Jasmine and Charlie are trailing behind us, awkwardly avoiding having a conversation alone with one another.

Since Charlie sort of confessed that they momentarily had something going on, I'm beginning to understand why they've both been acting so strange lately.

The moment we step inside, the already loud music just grows louder, and I cringe right away.

Most people have red solo cups in their hands and although it's only just after nine o'clock, tons of people are already evidently drunk. Teens are packed together and grinding on each other in the main living room, which is also where it seems the speakers are, currently blaring some annoying rap song.

"I'm going to go get a drink, come with," Jasmine says as she appears behind me, having to lean right into my ear so that I can hear her.

I'm about to nod, seeing as there's no way I want to be alone in this crowd of drunken kids, but I don't answer before I see Bryce come walking down the stairs.

Our eyes lock, and though it looked as if he was heading for the kitchen, he changes his route, heading straight for me, Jordan, Jasmine, and Charlie.

"Hey," he says when he reaches us, and I can't miss the way that his eyes linger on my body.

He looks me up and down once, and I find myself biting my lip under his stare, enjoying how entranced by me that he seems to be.

I know that he notices the necklace by the way he suddenly takes a step towards me, wrapping one of his arms protectively around my waist. He pulls my body a little closer to him, and when I look up at his face he gives me a small smile.

"You look absolutely stunning, Blossom," he tells me, and a shy smile grows on my face.

Charlie clears his throat and all four of us turn to him.

He looks thoroughly entertained by Bryce and I, but his attention shifts when Jasmine grabs Jordan's hand, dragging him away through the sea of bodies, headed in the direction of the kitchen.

My brother huffs at this, but he follows them, leaving Bryce and I alone.

"You do know that all these people are definitely going to ruin all your nice furniture, right?" I ask as we move out of the way to allow the door to open.

He gives me a funny smile, laughing a little at my question just as Camila walks into the house.

There's a girl who I've seen around school but can't match a name to walking with her, and Camila gives both of us a small wave, even leaning up to kiss Bryce on the cheek.

He does his best to give her a small smile in reply, but his fingertips are gripping my waist a little harshly now.

And I'm jealous. I'm really jealous that she has the confidence to just kiss him on the cheek, meanwhile I spent half an hour alone with him to build up that same confidence.

That kiss didn't even happen, thanks to Addison and Adriana who are now back in Alberta, but that doesn't mean that I'm not still a little mad about it.

"Hi, Cam," Bryce says quietly, and she frowns a little, bit, turning to look to me for a moment before responding with a simple, "Hey," then taking her friend's hand and heading for the living room.

"Where's your dad," I ask Bryce, who then turns to look up the stairs which he had just walked down.

He nods his head in the direction of the staircase, answering my question.