Chapter 12 Part 1 Well That Was Embarrassing

Terrant was surprised when Chris’s fighting went from ferocious to sloppy. He pulled his fist back readying a punch when he realized she was clutching her chest with one hand; while the other swung limply on her side. There was a split second where Terrant felt like it might be another trick until he saw her head roll back. Instead of punching her Terrant ended up catching her in a dead faint. He held her for a second waiting for a stomp to his foot or a kidney jab, but nothing happened. Holding her upper body, under the arms, he shook her gently. “Chris?”

    Nothing.

    “Chris?... come on wake up… Chris?!”

    Terrants mind started to reel. He crouched down and scooped her up, her head lolling back on his upper arm. Her glasses were askew on her face and he could see dark lashes peaking out beneath them. Immediately carrying her to the side door that led to Joseph’s sleeping quarters all the while attempting to hold his breath.

He knocked the back of his fist against the door pulling Chris closer against him so she would not fall. Only hearing a groan behind the door followed by a long stretch of silence. He began to strike his fist furiously against the door, pulling his face close to her lips so he could confirm she was breathing. After a minute of his continual knocking he heard a loud thud of someone falling out of bed and onto the floor. This was shortly followed by unintelligible moaning and a mutter, “someone really wants to die.”

Finally the door opened and a bleary eyed Joseph stood there topless in plaid pajama bottoms, blinking at the sight in front of him. “What the-”

Terrant shoved his way past Joseph, already pushing past his lungs capacity to hold air. He walked to the bed and laid Chris down, stepping away to breathe. Joseph followed them, turning on the main light.

“What happened?” Joseph asked while he knelt next to the bed grabbing Chris’s hand.

Terrant stood examining Chris for any clues. “I don’t know. We were sparring and then things got weird.”

Joseph stood up suddenly and glared at Terrant. “Weird how? Why were you two sparring?”

Terrant’s eyebrows raised. “Calm down Joseph. It was all friendly. We were just getting to know each other and she was the one who suggested sparring.” Joseph blinked and nodded looking down at Chris who was still obviously out. “I don’t have anything against her and don’t wish her harm.”

Joseph nodded again and sighed. “Okay, what do we do?”

“First notify her Beta. I need to talk to him.”

A knock was heard at the door. Terrant raised his eyebrows questioning.

“That is Peter. Just a second.” Joseph went to the door and opened it slightly, speaking quietly to his Beta.

Terrant knelt next to Chris, pulling her hand out so he could check her pulse. “Tell him to bring me a stethoscope.”

“There's one in a black bag in my closet.” Joseph called from the door.

Terrant went in search of the black bag which also contained a pulse oximeter, blood pressure cuff, and a small flashlight. As he was walking back into the room he watched Joseph replacing the dark glasses on Chris’s face. Terrant tilted his head watching curiously as Joseph looked up and shrugged, “light sensitivity.”

Terrant walked up to the bed pulling out the stethoscope. Joseph moved away as Terrant sat on the edge of the bed and put the bell to Chris’s chest. He sat quietly listening to her heart and lungs as Joseph started to pace. Another knock was heard and Joseph moved to open the door. Peter was back with Garrett who immediately walked over to the bed, a silent look of panic and concern on his face. Terrant stopped listening and pulled the stethoscope over his head to rest around his neck. He then began to count Chris’s breaths and check the pulse in her neck. For good measure Terrant checked her blood pressure and finally sighed in confusion and frustration.

He stood up and immediately noticed the palpable tension in the room. Joseph, Garrett, and Peter watched him anxiously. “Uh... well there is nothing wrong. At least not with her vital signs. Where is the Healer?”

All exchanged a look before Garrett responded, “She wouldn’t want a Healer to look at her… unless it was her personal one, and he has been notified. In the meantime can you give us a clue as to what happened?”

Terrant looked quizzically at Garrett, feeling as though he was being left in the dark. “We were sparring and then suddenly she… I don’t know had a burst of energy or something because I could barely keep her in check. Next thing I know she fainted. I grabbed her before she fell so we can rule out a head injury, but that doesn’t explain why she fainted in the first place. Does she have any health conditions?”

Garrett looked down at Chris, shaking his head. “Nothing.”

“Has anything like this happened before?” Terrant asked.

Garrett shook his head again, and Joseph grunted. “Well she has been exhausted the last few weeks, and under a lot of stress.” Joseph said this with one arm across his chest and his other hand scratching his chin.

Terrant thought for a second and shook his head slowly. “I don’t think so. I have a feeling that something very recent caused this acute reaction.” Garrett’s eyes widened as he looked at Chris. Terrant turned around to see she had started to move, “She’s waking up.”

*Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment! I love constructive criticism, however, if it becomes mean I will take you down.*

-LostArrow-

Edited by munbunny and ChelsieNielson