001 || grace

•••

•••

"Dalia! The machines broken again" I called, bashing the side of the coffee machine in hopes of fixing it.
It was the fourth time it had jammed this week but the boss lady wouldn't buy another one. I let out a sigh as I scanned the small coffee shop, watching the customers sipping on their drinks and chatting heartily.
I was snapped out of my daze by an angry whisper behind me.

"fucking piece of shit"
"Woahhh language" I teased, watching Dalia fiddling with the machine's settings.
"It's not my fault - you were the one that bought this bloody machine" she quipped, glaring in concentration. A sputtering noise shortly followed, and the coffee finally started pouring.
"Thank Jesus"
"Jesus has nothing to do with it - that was all me" she grinned, pouring milk into the cup.
I snorted, rolling my eyes as I walked over to clear one of the empty tables.

"Excuse me?"
"Oh yes hi" I smiled, walking back to the counter "what can I get ya"
"Just a black coffee please"
"To go?"
"Yes ma'am"
I let out an amused smile at this, looking up at the customer properly. His face seemed stoic, but his eyes shone with humour.
"Well someone was taught their manners" I chuckled, turning on the machine "Oh - and that will be $2.20"
The man fished some change out his pocket and placed it on the counter, a small smile gracing his features.
When the coffee had finished pouring, I placed the lid on and turned back around, handing him his cup.
"Keep the change" he winked, before looking at my nametag "Grace"
A faint blush spread across my cheeks and I gave a little awkward wave as he walked out of the door.

"What was that" Dalia snorted.
"What was what"
"That"
"Oh shut up"