003 || partner

•••

•••

"Where have you been going for the last few weeks - don't think I haven't seen you slipping away" Natasha grinned as she sparred with Clint, dodging his fist as it flew towards her face.
"Just a coffee shop" he grunted, Nat flipping him on to his back.
"There are coffee machines here" Natasha scoffed "why is that coffee shop so special".
She let out a grunt as Clint escaped from underneath her by flipping her onto her stomach.
"No reason"
"Bullshit"
"Seriously"
"I'm a spy Barton" she reminded him, dodging yet another kick to her abdomen "I can find out easily"
"I'd like to see you try" Clint said, blocking 3 punches that got dangerously close to his face.
"Let me guess" Natasha teased, dropping to the floor and sweeping Clint's legs out from underneath him "you found a pretty girl"
When she received no answer she smirked, proud of working it out so quickly.
"You gonna introduce me?" She asked, offering a hand to pull him up from the floor.
"Fine"

•••

"Don't do anything stupid Nat or I swear to god-"
"I won't! I won't! Let's just go"
Clint let out a long sigh, before pushing the door open and striding up to the counter.
"Hey Grace. can I get two black coffees - not to go this time"
"Sure" She replied with a smile "just take a seat and I'll bring them over - that'll be $5"
Natasha started walking over to a table whilst Clint paid.

"She's jealous of me" Natasha said as they sat down, grinning at Clint "this means you've got a chance Barton"
"Yeah her smile was a bit forced but that doesn't mean anything. Maybe she's just having a bad day?" He reasoned.
Natasha scoffed, glancing at Grace talking quietly to a coworker.
"See? Right there. She's getting a pep talk" she pointed out, causing Clint to subtly look over to the waitress.
"For gods sake Nat they're just talking" he sighed.

The argument stopped as Grace came over with their coffees.
"2 black coffees" she smiled, placing the cups gently on the table.
"Grace this is Nat, my partner. Nat this is Grace" Clint introduced, his eyes narrowing slightly as he saw her flinch.
"Nice to meet you" Grace said, her voice sounding slightly strangled.
"You too" Nat grinned, her eyes flicking between the two.
"I'm gonna go back over there now" Grace said awkwardly, "enjoy your coffee"

Once she was out of hearing range, Nat slapped Clint upside the head.
"Partner? Really?"
"What?"
"Now she thinks we're dating you dweeb!"
"Oh. Oh."
"Yeah, no shit genius." Natasha sighed, rubbing her temples "for an agent as good as you I can't believe you're finding it hard to ask out a girl that is clearly interested! Buck up!"
"Nat it isn't that simple and you know it" Clint argued, pain seeping through in his tone.

Of course Natasha understood. Being a spy is no easy feat, and there are always more than enough enemies who would do anything to enact their revenge. Bringing outsiders into that circle? Easy collateral damage.

"Clint that's not fair, other agents have relationships. I mean, take Coulson for example, he's dating that Caroline girl"
"She's an agent too Nat. She can protect herself, it's completely different"
Natasha huffed, wanting to help her friend.
"You could always ask Fury" she shrugged, sipping on her coffee.
"Are you crazy? I can't just pull her away from her life! She has a job! Friends!"
The redhead raised her hands in surrender, cutting off his little rant before it could start.

"Just ask her out, it might be good for the both of you" she said, grabbing her bag and leaving the coffee shop, leaving Clint alone at the table deep in thought.
"Fucks sake" he groaned, his forehead hitting the tabletop.