thirty-four: that time, on the plane

"So why didn't you take care of this when you got married?" The clerk sifted through my papers and then back up at my face. 

"Long story," I tried to smile. 

"Querida? Is there a problem?" Jeb carried a sleeping Levi over to me. 

"I don't know," I shrugged, turning back to the clerk. "Is there?"

The clerk sighed, loudly. "Well, the DS-5504 form is in order and I've got your old passport right here..."

"With the new picture," I tapped the envelope. 

"But you're applying for a name change plus an expediting on the whole thing and I need to ask my supervisor."

"OK," I nodded, forcefully. "Ask."

The clerk shuffled away. 

"We still have a long drive home," Jeb muttered.

"I know," I muttered back. "How was I supposed to know that this was such a busy month at the passport office?"

"Why did you..." 

I slowly turned on my heel and met his blue eyes. If he asked me one more time why getting a passport in a new name took so long, so help me God, I was going to scream. Since he would never have to go through the hassle I was going through and I was only going through because he wanted us all to have the same name...

"Look, I saw a diner down the block that I'm sure has kids spaghetti. I'll get you something, OK?" Jeb was making the squinty face he made when he knew I was at the end of my rope.

I nodded and kissed the back of Levi's head.

An hour later, I stepped out of the revolving doors and into the late afternoon sun. I stretched my arms over my head and exhaled with relief. Across the street, Jeb waved at me from the cab of his truck. I jogged around to the passenger side and climbed in. 

"What did you get me?"

"Chicken and spinach wrap. Diet soda. Mini fruit salad."

"I love you," I kissed his cheek.

"I know," he grinned, pulling us into traffic and towards home. 

We won the lottery and Levi slept most of the way. We had one bathroom break and then he was happy with water and his iPad. 

For all my trouble, my new passport arrived the day before we were leaving for Scotland. The. Day. Before. Because international traveling with a preschooler wasn't stressful enough?

Jeb's sister, Laurie, had chosen a destination wedding. Well, I don't suppose it can be called destination for her groom since it was where he was from. But for the rest of us, it was an adventure.

It was also my first time with the whole Scott family since our 'wedding' the previous year.

But, no pressure. Ha.

The taxi service came for us just after breakfast.  

"How do I look?" I twirled. Balancing travel with looking good for Jeb's family had been a hard line to balance. I'd gone with an arty tunic-dress over black leggings and flats. 

"Fabulous. Like always."

I cocked my head. "Try again."

"Uhhhhhhhh," he took a breath. "A little nicer than work clothes but comfortable - not fancy."

"Good enough for..."

"Maggie? Yes. Definitely. I'm more afraid you will be wearing the same thing."