Act 1.5

CUT TO:

INT. RAMONA'S DORM ROOM – DAY

Ramona has fallen asleep on her desk. She wakes up groggily, then checks the time. She has five hours before she has to get to work. She looks at her screen, and about ten pages of a script have been written. She beams with pride.

CUT TO:

INT. GIRLS' COMMUNAL BATHROOM – DAY

Ramona is brushing her teeth, getting ready for the day ahead. She seems to be in a better mood than usual.

CUT TO:

INT. COMMUNAL KITCHEN – DAY

Ramona is eating cream cheese on a bagel while sitting on the kitchen countertop. A FEMALE STUDENT enters. Ramona smiles at her.

RAMONA: Morning.

FEMALE STUDENT: Morning.

CUT TO:

INT. RAMONA'S DORM ROOM – DAY

The stack of Ramona's required academic readings are on her desk. She picks one up and starts to read. When the clock strikes 2, the stack has been halved, and another stack with finished readings are placed next to it. Ramona begins to get ready for work.

CUT TO:

INT. SALLY'S SANDWICH SHOP – DAY

Ramona arrives fifteen minutes early. Haley is shocked.

RAMONA: Hi.

HALEY: You're early. For once.

RAMONA: I am.

Simon appears, behind the counter and in the kitchen again.

SIMON: Ramona. Hi.

RAMONA: Hi Simon. I brought you a bagel.

Haley lifts her eyebrows and purses her lips. She throws Simon a look, who is just as confused and offers her a shrug.

HALEY: You look like you've got your shit together today.

Ramona clocks in.

RAMONA: I wrote ten pages of a script last night and woke up earlier than usual. So I guess you can say that.

HALEY: A script? What're you writing a script for?

SIMON: (proudly) She's making a movie.

HALEY: No way. Can I be in it?

Ramona pauses. She looks at Haley.

RAMONA: Seriously?

HALEY: Yeah? It'd be cool, wouldn't it? Aren't you taking up writing?

Ramona looks at Simon, shocked. He smiles encouragingly.

RAMONA: Okay, yeah. I guess you could.

HALEY: Awesome.

RAMONA: I still have to finish the script. And you'll still have to audition for it.

HALEY: Sure, no problem.

SIMON: Have you ever acted before?

HALEY: I—Do neither of you know what I do outside of this place?

Simon and Ramona look at each other. They purse their lips and shake their head.

HALEY: Fine, whatever, I'll audition.

RAMONA: Cool, thanks.

SIMON: Oh, Ramona. I talked to my best friend, Leo? He's coming over tonight after our shift. We can go somewhere if you want.

Haley snorts and turns away. Simon glares at her.

RAMONA: Sure, yeah. We can do that.

SIMON: He said to show him what you have so far. He's willing to help direct. Said, depending on the script, he could maybe put out a casting call, too.

RAMONA: (excitedly) Great, thanks.

SIMON: (proudly) You're welcome.