Act 3.3

CUT TO:

INT. CLASSROOM – DAY

Ramona is sitting in class when she receives a text from Simon.

Good morning, beautiful.

She blushes to herself and sneaks a quick reply under the table.

CUT TO:

INT. SALLY'S SANDWICH SHOP – DAY

Ramona enters the sandwich shop. Haley is standing behind the counter. When Haley sees Ramona, she offers her a small smile.

HALEY: Hi, Monesy.

RAMONA: Haley, I—

Haley nods.

HALEY: I know.

RAMONA: I know that you know but I need to say it to you anyway.

Haley just looks at her.

RAMONA: I'm sorry we didn't cast you for the role. There's no excuse for it. You're my friend and—

HALEY: It's precisely because of that that I understand. Really, Ramona, it's okay. This isn't my first rejection. If you're going to be apologizing for anything, it should be for the fact that you avoided me and assumed I was mad when I wasn't.

Ramona cringed.

RAMONA: I'm sorry, Haley.

Haley smiles.

HALEY: I forgive you. Now get over here and clock in so you can take over.

RAMONA: Is Simon here?

HALEY: No, but he will be. The new cook's hot.

Ramona laughs.

RAMONA: Let me guess. You asked him out on a date.

HALEY: Her. I asked her out on a date.

RAMONA: And? Did she say yes?

Haley wriggles her eyebrows. Ramona squeals.

HALEY: So tell me about Leo. I heard he turned out to be a giant douchebag.

RAMONA: I wouldn't call him that...

HALEY: Oh, sorry. I meant giant asshole.

Ramona laughs.

RAMONA: He's just... a little bossy.

HALEY: Oh please, Ramona. You don't have to make excuses for that slimey little white boy.

Haley shakes her head.

HALEY: Simon told me most of it. But speaking of Simon—

Haley wriggles her eyebrows again. Ramona laughs, her cheeks turning scarlet.

HALEY: So? Did something finally happen?

Just as Ramona was about to answer, Simon enters the sandwich shop, his hair still wet from the shower.

SIMON: Hey, I'm here.

When he sees Ramona, he beams brightly. Ramona grins back.

Haley purses her lips.

HALEY: Ah. I get it.

Ramona looks at her as Simon approaches.

HALEY: And that's my cue. Let's talk more some other time, alright? I gotta go feed my cats.

Haley hands her the apron and disappears into the kitchen. Ramona turns to Simon, who's looking at her.

SIMON: (breathlessly) Hi.

RAMONA: Hey. (pause) You ready for tonight?

SIMON: Ready as I'll ever be.

There's a brief moment of silence when Ramona puts on her apron and a customer walks in.

RAMONA: I better get to work.

SIMON: Yeah, me too.

There's a pause, and Simon seems to hesitate. Before the customer arrives, he pecks the side of her head and disappears into the kitchen, too.