XXXVIII

Sorry for the delay, I was stuck and it was terrible, especially because I was able to plan out two whole future chapters but this one? Absolute hell.

QOTC: do you like this cover better? Or should I go back to the previous one?

Nothing could've prepared me for the devastating pain I felt when I saw them holding each other so happily, or for the sadness that had my heart constricting, making me think that it was going to stop beating

Rationally, I knew that he was supposed to go back to acting like the loyal, loving husband he'd used to be, but it seemed too real. It seemed as though he was relieved to see her, as if her presence was heavenly.
How could he? How, after fucking me so many times? After stroking my hair until I fell asleep? After spending so much time looking at me with a breathtaking smile? How could he love her still?

There was an aching lump stuck in my throat, one that made it hard for me to even breathe. Not only that, but I also had to fight against my tear ducts, for I did not want to cry in front of my dad.
In total honesty, I just wanted to die.

"I'm so glad you're back, angel. Our house was unbearably silent and empty without you." Dad said with the brightest grin, briefly taking his eyes off the road to glance at me. "I've missed you so much." He grabbed my hand and placed a light kiss on it.

"I've missed you more, daddy." I replied sincerely, choosing not to comment on his first statement, because I would've only told a lie. Sure, I was elated to see my dear daddy again, but was I truly glad to be back home? No.
Italy had been paradise.

"That's impossible. Anyway, I've had the chef prepare you a sashimi platter, I know you've been crav—" He was enthusiastic and very talkative, to the point where it almost irked me.

I turned to stare at the deep orange sun, which was slowly setting, just like my 'relationship' with Lorenzo, the man of my dreams. "I'm not hungry." I interjected abruptly, not even giving him the chance to finish his sentence.

A sigh, a long, dejected one left his lips. The previous cheeriness abandoned his voice, making it sound gloomy. He knew that me rejecting food was a bad sign. "Ali."
Seeing how I wouldn't look at him, he spoke more firmly. "Turn around, Alison."

I complied, putting on an annoyed mask to hide how heartbroken I actually was. "What?" I asked with a tone that matched the expression on my face.
I much rather preferred to make him mad at me rather than letting him know how I truly felt.

"What's wrong?" Too bad he was my father, and he knew me well enough. It wasn't going to be easy to get him off my back without a good lie.

I exhaled loudly, starting to get irritated. I hated his insistence at times, though I knew that it simply meant that he cared a lot about me. "I'm tired, dad. I had to wake up in the middle of the night to catch that stupid plane and I couldn't even get some sleep on it. Also, my head is killing me and you're only making it worse."
I mentally congratulated myself for my amazing acting skills, since I almost believed that lie, too.