Chapter 8

(For the purpose of the plot I had to change when Elvis goes to Germany. In the story he leaves earlier then he did in real life.)                                   

                                   🎸1958🎸
    Elvis was allowed to postpone leaving for the army for a few months so he could film King Creole. He took with me to the set, we tried to spend as much time as we could together. He brought us all to Texas  with him for his training but now he is leaving for Germany. He is bringing his parents and Dodger with him, he tried to get permission to bring me but since I'm not family I can't go. So I'm going back to Graceland  as soon as they leave. I couldn't sleep last night because I kept thinking of all the bad things that could happen to Elvis in Germany. He is up in his room getting all of his things together, I walked into his room to see if he needed help. He was standing in front of a mirror adjusting his tie. I stood behind him on my tiptoes so I could look at him in the mirror. "Need some help?" I asked, he turned around to face me and I adjusted his tie.
"Are ya goin' to stay at the house the whole time I'm gone, or are ya goin' back to your parents house?" He asked looking down at me.
"I don't wanna talk about that right now." I kept my eyes on his tie.
"You never want to talk about me leavin'." I sighed and looked up at him.
"Look we have only have a few hours to spend together, I don't want to spend that time thinkin' about you leavin'." He pulled away from me, yanking his tie out of my hands.
"You are actin' like a child." He mumbled
"I'm actin' like a child? Look at you, you're throwing a fit because I don't want to talk about somethin' that makes me sad!"I said sternly.
"Im not throwin' a fit! I'm tryin' to talk to my girlfriend about where she is stayin' while I'm gone so I don't have to worry about where she is! You avoid conversations like this all the time, like a child! I'm tryin' to make sure you are goin' to be ok!" He yelled, I winced.
"I'm not avoidin' it, I'm tryin' not to make my last day with ya isn't a crying fest! And what other conversations do I supposedly avoid?" I yelled back.
"Anything about our future! Whenever I bring up us maybe gettin' married you make up some excuse about you being' too young or me bein' too busy! If I was too busy to get married I wouldn't bring it up all the time!" He yelled louder, I winced again, tears started running down my face.
"How dare you yell at me Elvis, I'm trying to spend time with ya before you leave and find some new girl in Germany and forget you have a girlfriend back home!" I yelled and ran out of his room down to the couch. I started crying even more, I heard Elvis yelling and throwing things against the the wall. The whole house heard our argument but knew not to talk to either of us, they would make Elvis yell more and me cry harder. I ended up crying myself to sleep on the couch, Elvis stayed upstairs, we spent our last few hours together separated.
    I woke up just as Elvis was stacking his suitcases by the door, he looked over at me but quickly looked away. I sat up and walked to the kitchen, Gladys was sitting at the table, her face was tear stained. I walked behind her and wrapped my arms around her, I rested my chin on the top of her head. She put her hands on my arms, we both let a few tears slip.
"Are ya ok honey?" She asked quietly
"I'm fine, now come on it's stoke to go." I helped her out if her seat, I got our coats and helped her put hers on. I noticed that my suitcase was also stacked with the others.
"Why is my suitcase down here? I haven't even started packin' yet."
"As soon as I'm gone Satnin and daddy are gettin' on another train to Germany, I'm not lettin' ya stay here by yourself so you are goin' back home. There ain't a train goin' to Memphis today so you're takin' a plane. I picked all your things." He said from behind me, I turned and glared at him.
"So now your makin' me say goodbye to your parents? Gee thanks Elvis first I'm upset that your leavin' then ya yell at me, now I have to say bye to your parents and go be by myself!" I yelled
"They are my parents Lily! I want them to be with me!" He yelled, I was about to yell back but the Colonel walked in.
"Hey that's enough! There's going to be fans and media at the station, you two need to behave! Act like you are the happy couple you normally are, no more screamin'. But remember don't make a scene no big kisses, keep it classy! Now get in the car?"He ordered, we sighed and grabbed suitcases to bring to the car. We all climbed into the car, Vern in the driver's seat, Gladys in the passenger seat, Elvis and I in the back. No one said a word to each other, I stared out the window until we got to the train station. We all took a deep breath, Vern and Elvis got our first. The girls screamed as soon as they saw Elvis, he smiled and waved, I rolled my eyes. He walked over to my door and offered his hand, I grabbed it and got out of the car. We walked over to his parents and the Colonel. "Alright boy it's time to say goodbye and get on that train." Colonel said, Elvis took a deep breath and turned towards his parents, he hugged Vern then kissed Gladys on the cheek.
"I'll see you guys later ok." He slowly turned towards me, he walked over and hugged me. He grabbed my hand and kissed my forehead. I wasn't sure if he was still hugging me because people were around or if he wanted to, but it felt nice being in his arms. He puked away but still had a hold on my hand, he slowly walked away not letting go of my hand. Just as out hands were about to pull apart we squeezed at the same time. Elvis pulled me to him and kissed me passionately. We kissed for what felt like hours, he slowly pulled away and smiled at me. "I love ya baby, and I'm sorry for yellin' At ya." He whispered
"I love you too sugar, and it's fine, I'm sorry I overreacted. The Colonel is goin' to kill us by the way." I laughed
"I don't care, I can kiss my girl if I want to. I'll call ya as soon as I get to Germany, I'm gonna miss ya like crazy baby."
"I'm gonna miss ya too sugar." We kissed again , he waved goodbye and boarded the train. Tears fell down my face as he waved out the window and the train pulled away. I watched it until it was complexly out of sight, I turned to Vern and Gladys, they both brought me in for a hug.
"Ok Lily it's time for you to get to the airport, so say your goodbyes." Colonel said, I shook my head and hugged Vern.
"Bye Vern, please watch out for them, this is hard for both of em, and don't worry about me, I'll be fine." I whispered.
"Of course darlin', feel free to use anything at the house, and if ya need any thin' just ask one of the boys."he said and kissed my forehead. I nodded and turned towards Gladys, I gave her a bug hug.
"Bye Gladys, I'll miss ya so much, make sure ya call all the time." I said as tears threatened to spill.
"Bye honey, I'll miss ya too, make sure you go and see your folks ok. I love ya baby." She said through tears.
"I will and I love ya too." I hugged her tighter, I waved goodbye and and walked to the car and got in. Now I will have to be away from the man I love for almost two years, what am I going to do?