Chapter 11

Lauren's guard was let down as waves of tender feelings lapped over the walls surrounding her heart. The feelings flooded through and spilled through every crack. It frightened Lauren to the point of no return, she could possibly fall in love with the girl that stood before her. Her heart pounded hard and thudded audibly in her chest. And for the first time in her life, she saw Camila in a new light, not the goofy little sister or her trusted companion. A new attraction formed and the world was stopped moving. And she felt like she was floating in midair. And the only thing that kept her from drifting away was those sweetly sexy brown eyes. The brown eyes that held the emerald ones captive, connected by some invisible physical force.

Their date lasted till early morning. Her body was tired from the long day, but her mind circled and paced, without any sense of real direction. As she plugged her cell phone into its charger, Lauren considered a quick run before she turned in. Something physical, she thought, to take the edge off these new complex feelings that suddenly hit harder than the bus that hit Regina George. The detail that Camila incorporated into every aspect of their time together was enough to make Lauren endlessly smile. Her stomach continually jumped in quick little rabbit hops with the thought.

She changed into a comfortable t-shirt and grey sweats then headed to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water. It was the right thing to do, this casual dating. Camila held too important a place in her life, played too intricate a part, to rush this change between them. It was Camila. Thoughtful and funny, smart and endearing Camila Cabello. All these years, Lauren mused, she'd never consider their relationship past the boundary of friendship. Now that they've torn down the restrictions, Lauren felt like she wanted her more than what she had anticipated. Impulse was great; Lauren was a fan of acting on impulse. But not when it came to someone who mattered as much as the younger one did, and on so many complicated levels. Slow and sensible, she had to remind herself.

Lauren felt like she needed help sorting through what she felt and the best person to aide her was the woman that understood the green-eyed beauty more than she sometimes understood herself. Lauren grabbed her cell phone and dialed the person she trusted with something this important.

"Hello?," Camila's mother answered on the second ring. A smile came over Lauren's face as she heard the joy in Sinu's voice.

"Hola, Mami Sinu" Lauren replied, she automatically felt at ease hearing the sound of her voice. Sinu had played an integral part in raising Lauren and was more of a mother figure more than her own biological mother.

"Mi querida, como te va?" Sinu questioned affectionately.

Lauren blew out an exasperated sigh into the phone. "Muy bien...I guess..."

"Uh oh... I know that tone. What's bothering you? Is it school? "

She hesitated for a split second. "No," Lauren stalled.

"You know, Camila already told me about the both of you," blonde-haired women spoke slowly putting emphasis on the 'you'.

Several beats of silence stretched between them before Lauren replied in a voice that was soft, almost toneless. "What.. what did she say?" she stammered.

Sinu lightly chuckled. "She called yesterday saying that she was taking you out on a date and that she had feelings for you. Romantic feelings. Aye, me sorprendió. It caught me off guard but I did give her my support. The last thing I want is for Camila to feel reproach or judgement from me." Sinu sighed. "Yes, I need to adjust to the whole idea but I do trust you with my daughter."

There was a noticeable pause on the other end. "Mami Sinu, this is all really new to me as well..." She tried to think of how to describe what she felt; Lauren thought of the feeling of when the ocean surf pulled back, hard enough to take her legs out from underneath her. She thought of the huge of gravity just as the plane's wheels come off from the ground. Lauren tried to put her thoughts into words but failed miserably.