Chapter 9: The Marcellus family

Eleanora's dress (the fashion of this world is somewhere between medieval and Victorian England)

This is what Alice looks like ☝️✨

"Riley, before we go in, I just want to warn you about my family..." he started.

Those were never good words to hear, even in a completely different world. A pit formed in my stomached and it was filled with butterflies and dread. Was he going to tell me they were nobles who hated commoners like me, or were they prejudiced against people with dark hair?

"What's wrong with your family?" I asked nervously hoping it was nothing too bad.

"Well, there is nothing wrong with them, but they can get a little overly-excited when we have guests. Especially since I already sent a bird telling them about how you healed me..." He said while biting his bottom lip and ruffling his orange hair.

"Well that doesn't sound too bad..." I said relieved.

He laughed nervously, "Well I told them that you saved my life and they will probably be very grateful..."

Again, none of what he was saying sounded bad, or was anything near to what I had thought they would be like.

"That really doesn't sound bad at all Cornelius." I said, wondering what he seemed so nervous about.

"I-I it's not bad, per say. I-It's just that, well, um-ahh..." He was struggling to get the words out.

Finally, with an exasperated expression, he just said, "Just brace yourself."

We walked up to the big doors and were about to open them when one of them just suddenly flung open. There in the middle of the doorway stood a breathtakingly beautiful woman - I would say that she was in her early thirties – her eyes started swelling up with tears and her eyebrows scrunched up, and as suddenly she flung herself on top of Cornelius and cried out.

"My Baby! My baby is alive!" She sobbed hysterically on top of Cornelius as Cornelius hilariously tried to maintain his balance. His arms were flailing backward trying to steady himself, while the woman was on top of him (who I presumed was his mother) sobbed unaware.