Chapter 10: Loving Gismead

"I, Umfrey Marcellus welcome you to the Royal Mage society!" He said joyously as he shook my hand vigorously.

They had explained to me that nobody had ever broken the orb before and that I was a magical genius and that with the right training I could become one of the greatest mages ever. The fame and the glamour they kept talking about sounded good, but the only reason I had these powers was to help others and I was quite pleased to just do that.

I also decided to confide in them and told them that I was able to use all the different types of magic. Cornelius and Alice seemed shocked, but Umfrey said he expected as much if I was able to break the orb.

Over the course of the next few weeks (this world has a six-day week) they schooled me and trained me in magic: the history of magic, the use of magic now, the future of magic. By the end of it I was up to my ears in magic. I learned a lot about the kingdom and the social structures, and I understood magic a lot better.

Firstly, the concept of dark magic was cleared up for me. Dark magic was the least documented and understood type of magic for two reasons: dark magic was the rarest form of magic for a person to posses (nobody new why, that's just how it was), and dark magic had sub categories of magic, and since very few people could use dark magic in the first place, there wasn't much documentation on how to utilise the even rarer sub-category power.

The subcategories of Dark magic were: Healing magic, Spatial magic and Algorithmic magic. All of which I had seen on the text message from the Gods. Over the course of the week I worked on those three the hardest. By the end of the week I had reached a magic level of 100 for those three and increased all of my other magic by ten points.

I also learned that there are two ways to practice magic: First is by using spells (this was the more popular method in Girannon because it didn't require that you had any understanding of how the magic worked, it just required that you had enough magic and control over your magic to do the spell), the second type was through visualisation (the less popular type because it required an understanding of science or what they call alchemy in order to do the spells, and since the theories of alchemy weren't very well known, the visualisation method wasn't very popular).

It think it was because I took chemistry and physics in high school that I found the visualisation method easier, also if I didn't understand a principle I could just look up on my phone and visualise it and then apply it to magic, whereas with spells I had to remember wordy incantations, some of which weren't in English. So, I just learned the necessary ones and the rest of the time I stuck to visualisation.

The point of all this training wasn't just for the sake of learning. In two day's time, on the day of  Wind, Alice and I, and all the young mages of the Royal Mage Society would compete in a magical tournament where we would use our powers and tried to defeat our opponents. The tournament was to be held publicly. The reasoning for this was on one hand to help the students develop under real combat situations, and the other was to give the general public of Girannon a good show and to remind the people of he magical might of Girannon.

Alice and I had decided that we would go and have a bit of fun in town; do some shopping, do some site-seeing, just have a good time, after the training of the past few weeks.

Alice and I had become great friends over the course of the past few weeks. Not only was she ridiculously beautiful (proven by the bunches of flowers left at the gates everyday, addressed to her) but she was smart and quick-witted and also a triple-user.

"What should we do first?" I asked as we left the mansion, arms linked and walked down the street.

"I say we do the shopping first. I can't wait to doll you up in the latest fashion!" She laughed.