Perspectives Part 1

Now and Then

Sean and Kaycee are a cosmic wonder no one saw coming. A pairing that no one even considered; yet when it happened, it made all the sense in the world.

The sky is blue. The earth is round. Water makes things wet. Sean and Kaycee.

It is now common sense. Logical, irrefutable, unquestionable, untouchable.

But that wasn't always the case, a fact so easily forgotten by most people, except for those close enough to spot that they were on a collision course to each other.

Although they've known each other since childhood, Sean and Kaycee grew up together from a distance. They met as kids on the competition circuit, then took many of the same classes but were proteges of different choreographers.

Kaycee was the little munchie of Tricia Miranda, raised on hard-hitting "stanky" hip-hop. Sean was the standout star of Will Adams' IMMABEAST program, honed to have smooth moves and spot-on musicality.

For the longest time, they seemed to simply co-exist in the same solar system, planets going in different directions.

Tricia made a duet out of her two little nuggets, Kaycee and Gabe. The two worked a meteoric rise as a hip-hop duo, going on competitions and taking some professional work.

Sean was a lone wolf, beloved by many choreographers, earning a name for himself as a prodigy soloist, yet continued to dabble in culinary and music.

They were acquaintances, yes. Friends, if the term was used loosely enough.

So it caused a lot of people to scratch their heads when, seemingly out of nowhere, Sean Lew put out a concept video with Kaycee Rice.

The style of the choreography was a far cry from what they were normally used to. It was not hip-hop, it was not smooth - it was raw, closer to contemporary than either of them showcased before.

Even thinking in retrospect, no one knew they were capable of doing partner work like that. No one even considered that they were close enough to work together without someone telling them to.

But for whatever reason, Sean Lew asked Kaycee Rice. And for whatever reason, she said yes.

When "Wrong Words" came out, no one foresaw what it would lead to. No one knew what they'd become. But when no one was looking, against all odds and logic, Sean and Kaycee became a possibility.

But if they thought about it, really thought about it, it shouldn't have come as a surprise. If they had just looked closer, all the signs were there. It was a long time coming.

Sean and Kaycee weren't two planets going in different directions. They were always two meteors on a collision course to each other.

Willdabeast - 2016

If Sean doesn't put his eyes back in his head, I'm going over there to knock it back in for him. 

He thinks he's being so slick, but he's only smooth when he's on the dance floor. Anywhere else, he's a transparent, bumbling mess. Especially when it comes to Kaycee Rice.

The phenom spawn of Tricia Miranda. She's a Little Beast too but she comes around less often than the others. To be honest, I think she doesn't really need us because she already has Tricia. But Tricia didn't used to really teach kids, except for Kaycee and her partner Gabe. So they joined us a while back to hang out with others their age.

"Let's go, Kaycee!" I call out, urging the girl to join me on the dance floor, to have a go at the choreography. For a second, she looks flustered and shy. But when the music kicked in, she transformed into a little monster.