twenty one

same day | seattle, wa

——————————

After getting off my private flight, I was immediately taken to the hospital where my mom was admitted. I was scared. I've watched what losing a mother could do and I wasn't ready to lose my own.

I didn't know life without her and she hadn't prepared me for that. So if she left, I was going to be pissed. Sad, of course, but pissed too.

I was given her room number and I took the elevator up. I said a quick prayer. I'd prayed at least ten times before I even took off to get to Seattle.

The elevator stopped and open its doors to let me off. I walked in the direction of my mom's room, stomach twisted in knots. I hated hospitals with a passion.

Peeking my head inside her room, I saw that my mom was sitting up and talking to Aunt Remy, Papa and Uncle Amir.

"Thank God." I said causing the three of them to look at me.

She looked at Papa with a disappointed look on her face. "You called Nia?"

"She's your daughter, Mimi." Aunt Remy blurted out. "Maybe she can talk some sense into your ass."

I walked over slowly to her, glancing between the four of them. It was a lot of tension in the room. It was so thick that you could cut it with a knife.

My mom looked at me and gave me a smile. "I'm fine, baby."

"Are you sure? What happened?"

She reached out for a hug and I hugged her tightly. I looked at Papa who seemed to be really upset.

I pulled away and looked at my mom. "What's going on? What was the cause of your heart attack?"

"They're still doing tests."

"It was stress." Papa looked at the both of us. "Have you seen her work calendar?"

"Ze—" My mom started, but Papa wouldn't let her finish.

"No, Naomi. You need to chill." He said with his voice cracking. "This is something you can control. Stop being selfish. You have a family. We're set for life, we're good. Nia's great grands will be set."

My mom shook her head. "This isn't about the money. I don't care about money. I care about helping people."

"Well, well. Look how things have changed." Aunt Remy looked at her.

"You can't help people if you're in a hospital bed." Uncle Amir said.

    "I agree." I nodded, looking at her. "You have a heart of gold, Mom. But, you can't help anyone if you're not here. And to be honest, you're our mom first. I want you healthy."

My mom sighed. "I eat right. I work out consistently. I just thought I had it under control."

   "Listen to your body. You don't." I responded. "Take that vacation with Papa. You need it."

Just then, the doctor walked in garnering all of our attention. She smiled at all of us before looking at my mom.

   "We ran a series of tests and all I can say is that you may need to take it easy. Your heart is stressed." She said as she tucked her clipboard underneath her arm.

"This is the busiest time of the year for me. The holiday's are coming up. I just..." She shook her head and sighed. "I guess I need to realize that I'm getting older."