Chapter Sixty-Six | Third World

[ 66 ]

In his old world, Fahren wasn't keen on flying. But due to his parent's connections, they often took him and his brothers on elaborate and extravagant holidays. But before he could enjoy lounging on the beaches, or whatever it was that he once got up to with his family, the plane journey was a huge hurdle for him to overcome. From a young age, he liked to be in control. He liked things in certain places, and saw red when his brothers tampered with his toys.

So by flying, relying entirely on the skill set of other people, it didn't sit well with him. It didn't matter how much extra leg room he got with being in first class. His parents tried every method, but he was a nervous wreck each and every time. Later in life, he was able to deal with it better, only because he was old enough to have access to the alcohol on board. But the fact of the matter was, that no matter what he did, or how hard he tried, he just couldn't relax.

And now that he was living in a post-apocalyptic world, that unsettled feeling which pooled in his gut, was always there. With all belongings packed up in the vehicles the night before, as soon as the first ray of sunshine breached the thick morning clouds, the engines were started and they headed out.

Hansel had opted to dodge a bullet by jumping into one of the other two vehicles- discreetly keeping as much distance from Valentin as he could. At the present moment, he felt vulnerable. As much as he would like to pretend he could grab any weapon and batter some Rotters, he doubted he'd have much of a success rate. He got no advantages with world-hopping. No cheat-mode.

If you didn't count a sarcastic System who would much rather watch him suffer to a certain extent.

The only real benefit he had was the knowledge of what was going to happen in the near future. But even then, some details are murky, and it's abundantly clear that more twists and turns are being 'unlocked' as they went along. Just like in every situation Fahren's had to deal with, it's always much deeper than initially perceived. It wouldn't be as simple as 'getting to the safe-zone' and remaining all happy and dandy there.

The issue of his anxiety, an aspect of himself that was quelled by the help of his lover on both world's occasions, came back with some force. But he had to remind himself now more than ever, that if he hesitated for too long in this world- he'd likely be eaten.

The fact that that wasn't spoken metaphorically, worried him the most.

Sparing a glance at those who were in the same vehicle as him, Hansel clocked Jakob who was outright snoring. His head was tilted back against the head-rest and he slept with ease; clearly not bothered by the odd jolt that came with the tires going over the corpses littered on the ground.

They were in the second car of the three, and they were all in a line. In front, was the one which had been modified the most. It did the arduous task of clearing the road if there was any Rotter around. Even though Hansel expected them to actively avoid them, it would appear whoever was driving the front vehicle was going out of their way to purposefully hit them. Sometimes it looked like dominos, which had been lined up, being knocked down.

Suppressing the gag that came at the sight of various limbs going flying upon being hit, Hansel looked down to his feet. The original had thrown up many times at the first sight of one of the virus-ridden creatures being beheaded by his team member. He had been on the brink of passing out before he was thrown out of the way.

So Fahren was well and truly being thrown in at the deep end. He didn't have much time to think things over with his brain working overtime with his anxiety. He couldn't relax, and couldn't keep completely still. The weather gradually began to reflect his state of mind, the clouds growing thicker and forming heavy blobs of rain that hit the windows with some force.