Chapter 7

Boboiboy went missing.

He disappeared after dinner. There were no explanations, no symptoms, only the abrupt evaporation of the elemental hero whose whereabouts are unknown. Ochobot was unable to track his watch and he refused to answer any calls. His phone was later discovered in his empty room.

Fang's heart sank. After that heartfelt conversation they shared, their relationship had visibly grown closer. But now he just disappears like that, leaving Fang to square one.

"I still can't find him," Yaya said mournfully, descending from the sky. "Where could he go?"

Fang had a guess, but it was too absurd to be true. Other than joining the circus or escaping back to TAPOPS, his options were limited.

"We should contact the commander." Fang's tone was bitter. He feared for the worst. "The criminal might be still after us."

There was another option. A variable that he would rather avoid.

* * *

Boboiboy is dead.

His body was found at the outskirts of the island, where it was isolated from the rest of the residents. Judging from the condition of the area, he had tried to fight back.

He lost.

* * *

Fang couldn't sleep that night.

He laid on Boboiboy's bed, the model of the solar system dangling above him.

Everyone was torn. The funeral had taken place earlier, and the entire island mourned his death. He had saved them on a multitude of times. He deserved their gratitude.

Why?

Why did he have to die?

Fang was not ashamed to admit that he would prefer Boboiboy as his closest teammate rather than the rest of his team. He was the first human to ever accept him as a friend, his first actual friend being Ochobot, who had gotten amnesia after meeting him.

Ochobot's hum was faint and low, the power sphere charging restlessly.

Everything was happening too fast. It was like someone was playing a practical joke on him. Everyone close to him was dying and leaving him.

Yet he was safe.

He was alright. He had yet to fall victim to that criminal, that goddamn culprit.

The admiral and TAPOPS mourned their hero in the station. There were still no leads, and the power outage had surprisingly halted once the eviction was made. They had solved their problems in space, but it clung to them like a plague.

"We're the only ones now," Yaya sniffled at the funeral. "You have to be careful."

Fang wasn't sure what she meant. The fact that their friend had left or the fact that she and Fang were the only ones with their powers.

The final survivors. The last line of defence.

His fists clenched, fingernails digging into his skin.

Enough is enough.

* * *

White hair. Ability to steal powers. Pale skin.

Fang's hands shook, despite his hands resting on Boboiboy's desk.

There was no time left. If the criminal got to him, he won't be able to avenge the fallen. He couldn't let any of the deaths be in vain.

This was a gamble. If the culprit was still watching him from the shadows, there's a high chance he will be killed sooner or later.

Whatever, he thought furiously. He went through Boboiboy's desks to search for an extra pen, but he found old newspapers instead. He scattered them on the bed to make space.

Alas, there was no writing utensil available of surface. Sighing in exasperation, he returned the papers back to its original place, only to be attracted by the title of the old news.

A picture of a white-haired boy with red eyes, along with the title, YOUNG BOY MURDERS PARENTS emblazoned on the top of the papers.

It couldn't be. It couldn't be a coincidental. Boboiboy had said his parents were murdered, but he didn't say who.

This young white-haired killer looked just like him.