| 63 | too late

The rush of adrenaline that Timothée felt when he heard Daisy crying out in fear was something he had never felt before. It was an intense feeling, one he couldn't fight, it was a feeling that flowed through his blood and before he knew it he was letting go of his drunk friend Julien and following the sound of her voice.

Before he can even process anything he is shoving the larger man off of her. 'SHE TOLD YOU TO GET OFF OF HER ASSHOLE!' Timothée screams, his voice so fiery and filled with anger that his throat began to ache. The man trips back but once he regains his stability he has a smile on his face, one that Timothée wanted so badly to erase.

The stranger then furrows his eyebrows, his idiotic grin still seen on his features. Timothée notices that the man is taller, bulkier and definitely stronger than he is. But it doesn't matter, because in this moment he wanted nothing more than to break one of his bones. 'What's wrong with you man, I was just trying to have some fun?' the man tilts his head and attempts to take another step towards Daisy but Timothée steps forward blocking his path.

'Fun? Are you kidding me?!' Says Timothée and somehow he sounds even angrier than before. He realizes just how angry he feels so he attempts to calm himself down. But once another set of words escape the strangers mouth he can't hold back his rage.

'Yeah.. fun.' The man says his eyebrows raised. 'If you wanted a piece of her too you could have asked. You don't have to fight me man.. I don't mind sharing.' Timothée's hands have now turned into fists and in a matter of seconds he has lunged himself forward to grab the creep by his collar and send a painful punch his way. First it was his jaw and the man collapsed to the floor, then the punches were directed to his nose, his cheeks, his eyes, every part of his face.

Timothée didn't care how he looked right now, he didn't care that there was a crowd forming beside them watching him beat this guy up with all his might, he didn't care that his fist was piercing with pain and dripping with his own blood and the blood of the stranger, he didn't care that Daisy was probably watching his every move right now.

He was so caught up in trying to inflict pain to the man that hurt Daisy that he forgot how violent he was being. Once the man underneath him stopped kicking and thrashing and his body went limp Timothée stopped for a moment, his eyes wide, his vision blurring.

Was he dead? Did I kill him? He thought. But a moment later the man slowly shifted his head from one side to the other letting out a groan. This proved to Timothée that he was definitely still alive so he  finally snapped back to reality and backed away from the bloodied up and bruised man.

The first pair of eyes he is met with once he stands up are Daisy's. He can tell by looking into her wonderful brown eyes that she was afraid. So fucking full of fear. She was unable to take her eyes off him, trying to read him the same way he was reading her.

His heart ached like it never had before and just by the way she was looking at him he could feel his heartstrings being pulled. He needed to say it now, before she walked away from him again, before it was too late.

'I'm so sorry.' he says, after way too long, finally allowing himself a chance to truly breathe. And without looking back at the crowd, at the bruised man on the ground, at Daisy, Timothée turns around heading for the exit.

***

The chilly air in New York makes Timothée freeze in his spot on the bench, but he isn't too worried about how cold it is outside. He is more worried about Daisy, what's she's probably thinking of him right now, how she must be feeling. How after weeks of complete silence this is how they cross paths again. At a club, in the middle of nowhere.

A hand is placed on Timothée's shoulder and he turns around locking eyes with Julien. He expected it to be Daisy, no, he wanted it to be Daisy. The only reason he was sat on this bench close to the club was because he wanted her to run after him. To maybe see if he was okay.

But he should have known better than that. 'Hey man, what happened in there. Once second you're dragging me to your car and the next you're throwing punches.' Just by the sound of Julien's voice Timothée could tell he was a bit sobered up. Not completely though, he still swayed a little as he tried to sit beside Timothée on the bench.

It seemed the terrifying fist fight had made everyone shocked based on the look Julien was giving Timothée. 'Yeah, I don't know what came over me. But I don't regret it.' Timothée admits looking down at his fists, they ached and were scratched up and covered with dry blood. Blood he wasn't sure was his or the strangers.

'I didn't see what happened but I saw Daisy standing there, did that dude try to flirt with her? Is that why you..' Julian Says, trying to decipher the situation but he was still slightly drunk and confused and Timothée cut him off immediately.

'No.' Timothée says, letting out a sigh. 'She isn't mine anymore. I don't have the right to be jealous.' Julien studies his best friends face. The way he looked at the ground in shame after admitting that Daisy was not his anymore, that he was not able to love her anymore and be around her anymore. It hurt.

'Then what happened back there?' Julian asks, trying his best to sound sympathetic. He wanted Timothée to know he cared. He wanted him to know that he wasn't just his idiot friend, and he wanted to actually understand his pain and the reason for his violence tonight.

Timothée looks Julian in the eye, trying to decide if he should admit it or not. After seeing Julian's sad expression he decides that this is his friend after all, and he deserves to know. 'He was feeling her up, and touching her, and she told him to stop but he wouldn't. I was afraid he would..'

Julian cuts Timothée off before he can continue and say something that will hurt him more. 'Oh.' he starts. 'I'm so sorry. If I knew that I probably would have jumped in with you.' It was true, if Julien wasn't so drunk and he actually saw what went down, he definitely would have joined in and taught that creep a lesson.

'Mmmm' Timothée hums in reply, having zoned out for a moment. Probably thinking of what had just occurred and replaying every moment in his mind. He did that a lot. He dwelled on things a lot and had so many regrets. But it seemed this night wasn't a regret, it was just painful for him because Daisy had to witness it.. all of it.

'Let's get you home buddy.' Timothée says patting Julien on the back and leading him to the car. Julien follows obediently but a part of him aches because Timothée is always at his rescue when he needs something. But tonight, Julien just didn't know how to help him.