Chapter Forty Seven

~Brielle

My blood runs cold.

I know Ren doesn't like me. I know he doesn't want me getting in the way, but I never thought he would actually want me dead. He's evil, pure evil, and manipulative to add to it all. When was he planning on doing this? I bet he didn't think Chase was about to get control again, and was planning to do it that night. Just thinking about what might have happened sends chills down my spine.

"He won't be getting control over me again. I don't care what it takes," Chase says quickly, glancing at me. The Gaze Reader still stares at me, clearly trying to decipher why an Alpha wants to kill me, of all people. She must have seen within Chase's gaze that he is my true mate, not Ren.

The Gaze Reader looks skeptical. "I don't want to be dragged into an Alpha's mess. That's dirty business."

Chase and I exchange wary glances.

"He was never meant to be the true Alpha. His brother was, before he murdered him and cold blood, and still feels no remorse. I can tell, I can sense it, and through me, you can too. Help me keep him away, at least until I can find a Gaze Reader who is willing to get him out of my head," Chase says firmly. It seems just his tone alone seems to shock the Gaze Reader into submission.

She gets up from the cushions she was sitting on, walking over to a makeshift shelves, sifting through bottles and jars filled with questionable ingredients. I watch her carefully, waiting for her to cast some spell of bad luck onto us before shooting us away.

"I'll help you. I'll do it for you, but if any of the royal family come back for me, your lives will have the worst possible karma for the rest of your life. From the Immortal herself," she threatens.

My throat goes completely dry. Of course Chase smoothly steps in.

"You don't have to worry about that. No one will be any the wiser, I promise you. And as reward, your family will be compensated greatly," Chase assures her, to which she glances back over her shoulder, focusing her gaze on him. She looks troubled, by what she is about to do, but on hearing those words, she seems to perk up a little.

"You speak of the riches this Pack lost many years ago, when your Alpha was fleeing from that damned immortal?" She asks, practically breathless.

Chase nods solemnly.

"Well then this will be very easy. It will be a pleasure. I knew when I looked into your gaze that you had something up your sleeve. It was golden, bright and opulent. Now it all makes sense," she mutters, plucking a few jars off the table, walking over to sit back in front of us. I eye them skeptically. Who knows what any of these strange liquids and powers do. We are putting all our trust into her.

Unscrewing the lid, she reaches her hand into a jar half filled with purple dust. Grabbing a handful, she spreads her palms and blows the dust right into Chase's face. He coughs a few times, blinks, before his eyes roll back and he collapses onto the floor.

I gasp, getting to my knees to lean over him? When I grab his face, he is already cold, in less than a few seconds.

I glare back at her, my gaze accusatory. "What have you done?"

"Calm down," she tuts, getting up to wash her hands. I wipe the power off my mates face, trying to shake him awake, but whatever magic is entwined in this stuff, it has gotten into his system. My heart thuds against my ribcage, as I feel for a pulse. I only relax when I feel it pounding against the tips of my fingers.

"He's been put into a sleeping spell. We only have a few hours, so we better get this over with," she tells me, to which I sit back, still clasping Chase's hands in my own.