14| A Strawberry Cheesecake Shake For The Button

    IT felt like I'd been driving forever, but as I checked the clock reading 10:35, I realized it had only been 20 minutes

    IT felt like I'd been driving forever, but as I checked the clock reading 10:35, I realized it had only been 20 minutes. But still, it was late, and I had no idea how Logan managed to get so far so fast. She must have been a quick runner.

    I was starting to get worried, like genuinely worried. There were woods surrounding the road I drove on, meaning she could literally be anywhere. And she didn't have her phone since none of us did, as there was no reception in Fort Yaron, to begin with. If I didn't find her, I wouldn't know what to do.

    Suddenly, I saw a silhouette in the bright lights beaming from the truck. It had to be Logan. It just had to be. I pulled up next to the walking figure and rolled down my window.

    "Logan," I said, but she kept walking. She didn't even glance at me for a moment. "Hey. Get in. We have to go back."

    "No," Logan said, still looking forward. I couldn't see her face, but from the sniffling noises she made and her hoarse voice, it didn't take a genius to determine that she had been crying. And a lot.

    "We have to," I told her. "We signed a form and everything. We can't really just disappear off into the night."

    "You're right. We can't. So we won't. I will," Logan replied.

    I sighed. "Look, I'm not leaving here without you. So either you get in the car or I'll get out and walk with you."

    She finally looked over at me, narrowing her eyes at me. "Yeah, right," she said, turning her focus back to the road in front of her.

    Clearly, she wasn't going to get in the car with me. So in one quick motion, I shut the car off, put it in park, and got out of the car. I hurried to catch up with Logan, walking beside her. She looked over at me, a mix of anger and confusion all over her face.

    "Seriously?" She asked.

    I shrugged. "I told you I wasn't leaving."

    Logan shook her head and looked away from me. For minutes we walked in complete silence, not a word was spoken. The air was brisk, but not intolerable. It was actually pretty nice. And despite it being incredibly dark outside, walking on the side of the street near the forest didn't feel eerie or uncomfortable. I felt fine walking beside Logan, but I knew it couldn't last forever. I would have to find some way to get Logan to come back to camp with me.

    "Why are you here, Noah?" Logan asked, breaking the silence.

    "Because," I started, "you ran off and Coach made me come find you."

    "Great," she muttered.

    "And— I wanted to make sure you were okay," I told her, and it was the truth. Logan looked over at me, her face was soaked in sadness.