Claimed?

As I entered the village I saw the dark dragon and his rider landing in our market square centre, and the banners and emblems rising of the Zantrax academy. Everybody was cheering and celebrating, it was the 50th year that Zantrax had claimed our village, and we all felt a certain fondness towards them. However, soon after, he leapt into the sky, climbing higher and higher into the distance to claim other villages, most likely he would go to the Merrystone village, they were rumoured to have the second strongest riders and stake his claim there. Our village was called Weatherstorm village. Now there would be celebrations from now for 5 days when the Zantrax dragon riders come back to find the dragon riders from this village when everyone would wear their best clothes, and scrub the village endlessly to make it perfect. However, for people my age, it would be a week of endless training to be the best they could in time for the academy. Apart from all the girls. Who do endless amounts of face-masks to look as pretty as possible? 

I had a few friends in this village, for example, Zara, who like me hated the other girls, but she also liked to look fashionable, just not be like the other girls. She could also handle a few weapons but prefers hand to hand combat. I met her briefly in the market square. She had long blonde hair and dark green eyes and was oblivious to the number of boys that liked her. I had known her since we were children and she had a childhood crush on my brother. Very amusing to watch really.

"Elia! Did you see the rider! They're so cool. And hot." She winked. "Do you think we're going to get picked to be dragon riders?"

"Hey Zar! Yeah, I saw them. Trust you to notice the rider, I noticed the dragon. A night type, very cool, one of the best species, anyway I hope we're picked too, I could see my brother!

"Yeah. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring it up."

"It's fine, but I did meet the mysterious dragon rider on the hill. Do you want to train?"

"Oh yes girl! And at the same time, you can tell me all about him " She grinned at me, and we continued into the woods. 

After 5 days of continuous training, in which I was punched by Zara many, many times, and I punched her more, it was time for the dragon rider to come back and take the new students. 

It was the morning of the choosing.