Chapter 39 Part 1

This is a cover art by @RoseettaRed6! She specifically asked me who I wanted for a cover

When I wrote that author note in the last chapter, I didn't realize people were really gonna respond. And honestly? How could I not love the people who go the extra mile?

What I love about this one is Min Hyo Rin (of course). When I pictured Red in my head the first few times, she was like my go-to girl and her expression here somehow reminds me of the first time she woke up without memories. Spot on. Spot on.

ALSO to those other readers who sent me, I decided to put one reader per chapter so you all get your spotlight. Again thank you!

Chapter 39 Part 1

Mess

Turned out it wasn't actually urgent. Just our professor excitedly asking when we would finish our project.

Elise, the sophomore who called me, sheepishly shrugged as I answered ecstatic questions from the avid teacher. Soon enough, we were back in our workspace glazing carefully over the colors on the canvas. I had two assistants of the professor's choice, Elise and a freshman who was unusually absent. The painting itself was a ten-foot-by-five, two month's time and budget of over three grand. It was, after-all, was university-commissioned.

The school president wanted a big landscape painting of the first administration building—one that's been demolished over thirty years ago and provided us with an old battered photograph in sepia tones. It was to be put up on the entrance of the new admin building as a reminder of our roots and how far the institution had come.

Elise stood back, checking the part we've started to glaze with scrunched eyebrows.
I looked to her expectantly, "Well?"

Elsie shrugged, "Meh, not bad. Damn, still can't believe we've done so much in these two months. I've lost so much sleep because of this monster. If the credits weren't worth it..." She shook out her purple hair and pushed back thick-rimmed black gasses over her freckled nose.

I couldn't help my laughter at the antics. But as I opened my mouth, the door to the workroom banged open, making the two of us jump. Our heads snapped in that direction. The freshman came in, a battered Jansport backpack slung over one shoulder.

"Where have you been? We've been on this for the whole morning!" Elise complained.
The freshman, Sienna was her name, flushed pink, dropping her backpack on a chair and rushed to our side. I immediately handed her a brush and smiled encouragingly, waving Elise away.

"I'm so sorry!" Sienna repeatedly apologized. I shrugged, while Elise grumbled about undeserved credits and such. And for a while, we resumed our project in silence. I noticed the freshman stealing glances at me but ignored it.

"By the way," Elise perked up, "Heard about the last auction. Eighty thousand dollars for a single piece of work. That's wow." A wide smile accompanied her statement.