14.5 The Ripple On The Still Waters

Lang Yuan, once again, exhibited his extraordinary memory ability.

The hall fall in dead silence when Lang Yuan mentioned the probability that all of them ignored the whole time. None of them made a noise, not even a single inch of movement dared to disturb the solemn silence. The papers that ached to flutter managed to escape from the paperweights and fell down in a cascading manner.

The center of silence, the Empress who was just taking his point out, noticed the fallen papers and moved to pick them up. He was hastily chasing one sheet after another when Zhong Song lightly caught his wrist to stand up. Lang Yuan looked at the falling papers again and motioned to look at Zhong Song to ask why he stopped him from picking up the papers.

Zhong Song has long understood the trait of the Empress and heaved a sigh. He called the nearby scholars to take good care of the papers and pick them up. It is never the work of the Empress to do anything that requires the head to lower down like bowing so he stopped him from doing the act. Instead, he motioned Lang Yuan to do an interrogation.

"Will the empress please say the words again?" Zhong Song inquired for the second time. Lang Yuan thought that Zhong Song didn't hear his words so he repeated his answer.

"All of them are half-gods, born from a hatched egg," Lang Yuan said aloud and clearly.

"What... what made you say that...?"

Zhong Song is sure that Lang Yuan never had the chance to step out from the palace. Since he was undergoing the trials and under the supervision of the emperor, it is normal for him to remain inside the household than to go out in the danger. This is also his protection against those people who wanted to steal him away and use him for the purpose of threatening the emperor.

Now that he looks at it, Lang Yuan also isn't the type to go out and meet some friends. The youth has an introverted nature so he will never go out of his way just to interact with people. Plus, he was the only human to the higher realm so his fear is evident towards the dragon race. Zhong Song only managed to secure a good connection to the youth due to his relations with Yu XueQin and as a scholar. Lang Yuan treated him as his teacher most of the time.

In addition, everyone is considered as a stranger aside from the JiDan.

To say that he knows that these people whom he never met even once on his life are half-gods, how did he know? Lang Yuan already know the state of Zhong Song's birth through JiDan. This is also the reason why JiDan is guided personally by Zhong Song since both of them carried the same fate. The young bun is close to the uncle so this guidance isn't really wrong at all. So possibly, Lang Yuan should only know the existence of two half-gods and nobody else.

Zhong Song wracked any possible explanation to the event. Even he himself, as the Imperial Scholar, did not know about the origin of birth of these people. And if ever he had known, it is of such small importance so there's a possibility that he had forgotten it after the course of time.

The higher realm does not really adhere to such notion as origin of birth etc. What they only know is that once a god had descended up to the heaven, one will be considered as a godly being despite the trace of human blood on their veins. It takes a huge power in order for one person to reach this height so it is not simple feat that gods can be easily taken up.

Even though there are issues related to the faction, it was maintained on the minimal level. If one would throw accusations to the general populace, those who are not included in the gossip will also be affected. Since Zhong Song is part of the minority, he will also be subjected to the dispute.

Zhong Song's influence in the empire is no means small. Aside from his relationship with the emperor, his reputation alone is enough to subjugate any resistance. He is not a small man that could easily be provoked. Therefore, the discrimination remained hidden under tables and more often tackled only in formal political debates than the normal gossip.